FFB Veteran League - HBT Challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swapping Avatar's. Pfft. You call that a bet?

Loser has to wear Yoopers avatar (and clothing if your into that sort of thing). Now thats a bet!

rdwj said:
Loser has to have his avatar be a picture of himself in a bikini - now THERE is a bet.

Ooh now that is better. This is why I don't bet by the way :p

Man I nabbed that fast rdwj :)

DesertBrew said:
Ooh now that is better. This is why I don't bet by the way :p

Man I nabbed that fast rdwj :)

Lol - responded before I read yours. Basically the same thing

the_bird said:
You don't want the points? Don't take the points, then. I'm surprised that it's only a seven-point spread right now; as objective as I can be, I can't imagine why it's that tight.

Ummmm.... that's because you are NOT objective. :D

the_bird said:
Wager accepted.

Done.

I was thinking that this sort of wager needs to happen every week, and doesn't even need to be arranged. We all have our team that we root for. Some of those teams are going to colllide this year. When that happens, The Avatar bet is on by default.

-walker

Yeah, it's 2nd Street. Rd's the Rotten's.

Let me guess, though, Walker - you got another business trip coming up? I remember last year, the Bungles got their asses handed to them, and you disappeared for two weeks. I've got a LOT more to lose, having to change my avatar (to what, Chris Henry's mugshot? Err... one of Chris Henry's mugshots?).

the_bird said:
Let me guess, though, Walker - you got another business trip coming up? I remember last year, the Bungles got their asses handed to them, and you disappeared for two weeks.

What does this have to do with anything? When I went away on business last year, I honored the bet and changed my avatar and shipped you the beer.

????

Are you just looking for something to whine about? If so, try again.

PS: it's easy to hand a team their asses when your head coach has spent years perfecting his cheating tactics.

I'm with Walker and rooting for Cincy.

(Red's vs Cub's that is)

Walker-san said:
I was thinking that this sort of wager needs to happen every week, and doesn't even need to be arranged. We all have our team that we root for. Some of those teams are going to colllide this year. When that happens, The Avatar bet is on by default.

-walker

I like that idea! The only problem I see is that both Cheese and I are Bear fans.

rdwj said:
I like that idea! The only problem I see is that both Cheese and I are Bear fans.

I don't really see a problem. You guys just get to decide together what your opponents avatar needs to be for that week. Given some of the images Chees has dropped on this board, I would say that you get two votes to his one vote.

Griese will save us!!!!!

:sigh: even I don't believe that. Is it too late to get Thomas Jones back?

Walker-san said:
Probably still just you.

-walker

It's too bad the League destroyed all the Pats' illegal videotapes of last years' game. I'm sure Belichick would have gotten a kick out of deciphering the Bengal's signals for "How the f*ck do we stop these guys?!?"

the_bird said:
It's too bad the League destroyed all the Pats' illegal videotapes of last years' game. I'm sure Belichick would have gotten a kick out of deciphering the Bengal's signals for "How the f*ck do we stop these guys?!?"

Man...give it up. You are grasping at straws, trying too hard.

Go reply to my post in the Grossman thread. ;)

Response?

Let's see Favre do it for more than two weeks. Pack seem to have a relatively easy schdeule this year, so he might end up putting up a good season overall, but let's see what happens when he's facing Chicago, for example. I would *hope* that playing with such an improved defense keeps him from feeling like he has to force as many things, but let's see how he plays when he's down a few points in the fourth quarter before passing judgement that "Favre is Back!"

The argument, too, wasn't that Favre had absolutely nothing left - it was that he wasn't the right QB for the team, itwas going to take a long time for the rest of the team to be rebuilt, by which time Favre would be gone and you'd be trying to plug someone else in. It was time to start seeing if your 1st round pick was a bust, or could play, and if not to try and find another young guy (like a Drew Brees, whom they could have bid on had Favre not wavered on if he was or was not going to retire). Did anyone, even in Green Bay, expect the rest of the Packers team to improve as rapidly as they have?

Actually, if your in the NFC, by default the strength of schedule is easier than if in the AFC. It's actually kinda nuts, check it here. The top 14 are all in the AFC. With those cards I wouldn't say having CHI*2, SD and DAL as being easy in retrospect. I'd toss Philly in there as well historically.

Favre has been consistent with his oft times bad decision making; even when he was winning 3 MVP's. Hence the Blanda record. He hasn't changed and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Drive you crazy yea. But in the end I don't care what QB you are if your behind you end up having to take more chances to try and get ahead. A solid all around team always helps a QB.

Bird, have you watched Favre at all this year? Do you think physically he is substandard? Ultimately that's the only true demise of a NFL player who still has the desire and skills...

He has been his own worst enemy with his bantering of retirement that he started talking about what, in probably 2004? Feel free to move this to the Favre love/hate thread :)

the_bird said:
Response?

Let's see Favre do it for more than two weeks. Pack seem to have a relatively easy schdeule this year,

They just beat 3 2006 playoff teams, WTF do you want? Further, they just beat prolly the 3rd best AFC team--the same team that BEAT the almighty, do no wrong Bears in week 1. How is that an easy schedule?

the_bird said:
but let's see how he plays when he's down a few points in the fourth quarter before passing judgement that "Favre is Back!"

You do realize that they just came from behind with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter to win last week, right?

the_bird said:
The argument, too, wasn't that Favre had absolutely nothing left - it was that he wasn't the right QB for the team, itwas going to take a long time for the rest of the team to be rebuilt, by which time Favre would be gone and you'd be trying to plug someone else in. It was time to start seeing if your 1st round pick was a bust, or could play, and if not to try and find another young guy (like a Drew Brees, whom they could have bid on had Favre not wavered on if he was or was not going to retire).

I distinctly remember telling you last year (and having copius other knowledgeable Packer fans on here agree) that Rodgers was not the answer. We also told you it didn't matter, because Favre was the better QB, bar none.
If you knew anything about Favre (other than taking blind stabs at something you obviously know nothing about), you'd realize he is playing awesome football. He came into camp in great shape, still has a laser beam arm, and is actually a perfect fit for the system. And I bet he plays 2 more years.

the_bird said:
Did anyone, even in Green Bay, expect the rest of the Packers team to improve as rapidly as they have?

I did--I picked them as a wild card this year, remember?

Philly game, Favre didn't do much. 23-42, no TDs, had a pick. Not the worst game ever, but he didn't win the game for them, the defense did.

Reference to the schedule was in relation to the rest of the season; I'd be shocked for them to not make the playoffs at this point, given how well the D's playing. Weeks 4-17 don't look all that bad, overall - lots of winnable games.

And yeah, Favre's played like a mofo these past two weeks against two good teams (albeit teams that are not exactly clicking on all cylinders). I hope it continues; I'm starting him this weekend instead of Jay Cutler.

But, even when just about EVERYONE (not just me) was calling for him to hang it up, he'd put together a few great games in a row; let's just see it continue for a little while longer. First six games of '05, he had four outstanding games - but rest of the season, threw 21 picks and SIX touchdowns. Not saying there will be a repeat (and I bow to your suprerior knowledge of the Pack), but two games does not define or prove a comeback.

the_bird said:
Philly game, Favre didn't do much. 23-42, no TDs, had a pick. Not the worst game ever, but he didn't win the game for them, the defense did.

Reference to the schedule was in relation to the rest of the season; I'd be shocked for them to not make the playoffs at this point, given how well the D's playing. Weeks 4-17 don't look all that bad, overall - lots of winnable games.

And yeah, Favre's played like a mofo these past two weeks against two good teams (albeit teams that are not exactly clicking on all cylinders). I hope it continues; I'm starting him this weekend instead of Jay Cutler.

But, even when just about EVERYONE (not just me) was calling for him to hang it up, he'd put together a few great games in a row; let's just see it continue for a little while longer. First six games of '05, he had four outstanding games - but rest of the season, threw 21 picks and SIX touchdowns. Not saying there will be a repeat (and I bow to your suprerior knowledge of the Pack), but two games does not define or prove a comeback.

Not the reply I was expecting--if I didn't know better, it seems you are maybe starting to come around! ;)

Welcome to the Darkside, the water feels fine!

I ain't joining no darkside; I'm just waiting for Favre to have another outstanding game or two so you make me a trade offer!

the_bird said:
I ain't joining no darkside; I'm just waiting for Favre to have another outstanding game or two so you make me a trade offer!

I'll trade ya Pennington even up. I think both you and Todd prefered Chad last year over Favre. On second thought I'll toss in Warner as well since he was preferred as well :D.

2 years in FFB and 2 years of crappy QB's for me :(

Didn't Pennington have a better year last year? I thought he played all 16?

todd_k said:

Don't remember; I just picked him up outta desperation. I just kinda figured he's 1-2 games away from some sort of injury.

todd_k said:

Pennington versus who, Favre? They both threw pretty much the same number of TDs as picks, Pennington had a much higher completion percentage (natural, since he can't throw the ball more than eight yards deep). Pennington had a better QB rating, FWIW. Quite a bit fewer yards. Based on QB rating, Pennington was 12th, Favre 25th last year - but IIRC, QB rating weighs completion percentage pretty heavily, so that's not really a good benchmark. Overall, the numbers between the two were pretty damn similar, they just got to those numbers through very different paths.

Dude...Avatar bet?

I win this week, I get to pick your HBT avatar for one week. You win, same deal. Of course, it'll be within the taste guidelines, but it'll be dancing that razor's edge.

Cybershake?

Cheesefood said:
Dude...Avatar bet?

I win this week, I get to pick your HBT avatar for one week. You win, same deal. Of course, it'll be within the taste guidelines, but it'll be dancing that razor's edge.

Cybershake?

Did you all of a sudden become a Vikings fan?

I'll bet you when it is packers/bears.

I think we should bet football team based avatars.

Boston said:
GAME ON!!

Where's all the TRASH TALK?

I think that's all bein saved for tomorrow night.

-walker

PS: Looks like Farve already got his record-breaking TD pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back