Back into Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riclat

Reaction score
First-time poster here. I'm selling my reef aquarium and getting back into brewing after about 8 years. As I sell off my aquarium system, I'll have $ to spend on upgrades to my brewing system and would like some advice on initial purchases.

Here's my driveway setup:
Homemade tower system with three burners
12 gal. Sabco sparge tank with thermometer and sight glass
15.5 Sanke mash tun with thermometer and bazooka t screen
15.5 Sanke boil kettle with bazooka t screen
Counterflow chiller (type with copper tubing inside clear plastic hose
Single-roller Philmill
Draft system

One idea was to by a keggle or Sabco 15.5 mash tun or kettle with false bottom and convert one of my current 15.5s to a sparge tank. I'll probably need to get a pump to move wort through the chiller and into fermenter. I'll eventually want to get a SS conical fermenter.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Richard

Welcome, Richard. Your system is already fancier than mine!

Do you already have some way of controlling your fermentation temperatures? That has a huge impact on your brewing. There are lots of ways of doing it, inexpensively and quite expensively.

Thanks for the welcome. What are the devices to control fermentation temp? I've got a controller for my garage frig, but used that with the draft system, not with fermenting.

Thanks for the welcome. What are the devices to control fermentation temp? I've got a controller for my garage frig, but used that with the draft system, not with fermenting.

You can rig up a fridge. You can build a fermentation chamber. You can build something like "son of fermentation chiller". You can rig up a "swamp cooler". You can use a cooler or tub with water and ice packs. Or time your brewing to when the temps in your area are appropriate.

In any case, fermentation temperature has a huge huge impact on your beers.

First-time poster here. I'm selling my reef aquarium and getting back into brewing after about 8 years.

Sounds familiar. I was involved in homebrewing/mircobrewing then stepped back from it for a number of years then came back. If you homebrewed before you know that you do not need all of the fancy equipment that you listed in order to produce award winning beer. If you have the $$$ and really want to go first class then more power to you. However, in the end it will be your grain bill, yeast, and hop bill (i.e recipe) that will determine the quality of your beer and not your equipment.

I agree. And with that in mind, I'm thinking I'll make a son of fermentation chiller or a two-carboy version instead of going the conical route. One of the enjoyable things about homebrewing I remember is making a lot of the equipment I used.

Back