"beer snob" says Miller Lite > Newcastle??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mack25

Reaction score
SWMBO sees a thread on a wedding planning site about beer options offered at a reception venue. The poster says they offer BMC as part of the package and can add Newcastle and Sam Adams for an additional fee. The poster claims to be a "beer snob" but would choose Miller Lite over Newcastle any day, so the additonal charge isn't worth it.

Hmm.

Now, I know Newcastle isn't the greatest beer in the world, but I happen to like it and would absolutely choose it over a BMC. And I surely wouldn't want BMC to be the only option at my wedding.

What do you think?

Are you ordering beer for you or your wedding guests?

Hell, I spent $1,400 dollars on McMinnemin's beer for my wedding.........

People like what they like, and it's not our job to judge them or try to convert them...

And it's your wedding, get what you want.

But as to what a "supposed beer snob" or whatever likes, it's HIS tastebuds, he's entitled to his choice of tipple in this society. Just like you are.

Maybe the beer snob has noticed that most people avoid the Newcastle and drink the Miller Lite, thereby making it a waste of money to spend the extra on a beer that no one will drink.

I just found it odd that someone who calls themself a "beer snob" would prefer Miller Lite. I'm not going to judge, but I would wager a guess that it's not typical.

I just found it odd that someone who calls themself a "beer snob" would prefer Miller Lite. I'm not going to judge, but I would wager a guess that it's not typical.

I see your point but it depends. Getting married in the summer outside? A beer snob might suggest an American Lager over a Brown Ale. He should anyway.

Maybe the beer snob has noticed that most people avoid the Newcastle and drink the Miller Lite, thereby making it a waste of money to spend the extra on a beer that no one will drink.

You would be surprised....

At my wedding 4 years ago, we got 4 kinds of beer and 4 kinds of wine, and something like 5 cases of each. We got married in the first week of December, so that will explain some of the seasonal choices. We specifically went for things that were good and easy drinking, especially in the wines category. We expected most of the guests would stick with the Shiner or Coors.

Beers:

Warsteiner Oktoberfest
Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold (Helles)
Shiner Bock
Coors Light

Wines:

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc (NZ Marlborough)
Santola Vinho Verde
Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau (2007)
Some cheap-ass Australian Shiraz ($3 a bottle)

I expected to end up with a bunch of Oktoberfest and Helles, and a bunch of Sauvignon Blanc and the cheap Shiraz.

After it was all said and done, I ended up with 4.5 cases of Coors Light(out of 5!), 12 bottles of Oktoberfest, a full case of Beaujolais Nouveau, a case and a half of Vinho Verde, and 2 bottles of the Sauvignon Blanc.

On the other hand, it was one hell of a party!

You would be surprised....

At my wedding 4 years ago, we got 4 kinds of beer and 4 kinds of wine, and something like 5 cases of each. We got married in the first week of December, so that will explain some of the seasonal choices. We specifically went for things that were good and easy drinking, especially in the wines category. We expected most of the guests would stick with the Shiner or Coors.

Beers:

Warsteiner Oktoberfest
Hacker-Pschorr Munich Gold (Helles)
Shiner Bock
Coors Light

Wines:

Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc (NZ Marlborough)
Santola Vinho Verde
Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau (2007)
Some cheap-ass Australian Shiraz ($3 a bottle)

I expected to end up with a bunch of Oktoberfest and Helles, and a bunch of Sauvignon Blanc and the cheap Shiraz.

After it was all said and done, I ended up with 4.5 cases of Coors Light(out of 5!), 12 bottles of Oktoberfest, a full case of Beaujolais Nouveau, a case and a half of Vinho Verde, and 2 bottles of the Sauvignon Blanc.

On the other hand, it was one hell of a party!

This is what we're trying to work through now. How "unique" to make the selection so that it appeases the micro and BMC crowds. And so that it doesn't go to waste.

Did you have hard liquor too? or keep it to beer & wine?

Might be that the "snob" was saying that Miller Lite is a better example of a Light American Lager than Newcastle is of a Nothern English Brown. :cross:

Might be that the "snob" was saying that Miller Lite is a better example of a Light American Lager than Newcastle is of a Nothern English Brown. :cross:

True, I do tend to forget that Miller Lite is "tripple hops brewed" :D

Don't get me wrong: I wouldn't recommend ML over NC either but maybe this guy is goinjg by what he's observed, or been bitched at by people, so he's basing his recommendations on that.

Yeah I had pink beer at my wedding so I really don't want to hear it.......

Yeah I had pink beer at my wedding so I really don't want to hear it.......

Oh....my....god....

mancard.jpg

sorry......:p

Wait, wait, wait.......by "I had pink beer......." I didn't mean that I drank the pink beer. I also had an IPA on tap.

Just wanted to clear that up before it gets out of hand.

I don't remember what we had available at our wedding. All I know is I only got to drink about 2oz of champagne and although there was food in front of me, I didn't get a chance to eat any of it. Don't even remember what kind of food it was.

My first wedding was held in the pastors spare bedroom, and then we went to a hibachi place.... don't ask...

But my second wedding was held at my friend's steakhouse, and they have an awesome bar there. I believe we actually had Goose Island available. I was drinking Budwieser is I recall correctly, because I think Bud is awesome with steak. I probably threw a few Sam Adams in there for good measure also.

But you allowed it to happen......There are SOME battles that you just HAVE to fight....

;)

Allowed, hell I paid for it Revvy. It was McMinnimens. Slim pickins. It was a hot June day and they sold out of Mojitos before the food was served. I bought the beer, by the glass. $1,400 worth. I can only hope we blew more IPA kegs than the Ruby stuff. It was a helluva party.

One thing to consider, are we talking about bottled beer or kegged? I like Newcastle but will only drink the canned version. The bottled version is invariably skunked. And whatever Miller's faults may be, the beer doesn't skunk due to their use of Tetrahop, a hop extract that doesn't react to light. So if the wedding venue offers bottled Newcastle and bottled Miller, the Miller is probably going to taste better. Kegged is a different story.

This is what we're trying to work through now. How "unique" to make the selection so that it appeases the micro and BMC crowds. And so that it doesn't go to waste.

Did you have hard liquor too? or keep it to beer & wine?

Just beer and wine, and the place where we had the reception had a rule requiring bottles or cans.

We'd have gone with kegs on the assumption that they're cheaper per unit volume, but as it turned out, the difference between a full case of Coors light and a case of the Oktoberfest was something like 5 bucks a case, so we were only talking like $75 to upgrade to the better beer overall. Even expensive(at retail) stuff like Asahi Black wasn't all that much more expensive- maybe 8 bucks a case.

I think there may have been some kind of wholesale discount that kicked in when we bought 20 cases of beer and 20 of wine. This was at the Austin, TX Spec's Liquor in 2007, BTW.

Just beer and wine, and the place where we had the reception had a rule requiring bottles or cans.

One of the places we looked at had the exact opposite rule: no bottles or cans. So we did all our math assuming kegs and the waiters serving the wine. We've since decided to go with another venue but are sticking with the kegs because the math is done and we're assuming people will prefer draft beer anyway. And because it leaves us open to the option of homebrew - and I only keg.

Great info, thanks!

Ours had allowed kegs, but some sorority at UT had a party there and flooded part of a room with beer, so after that, they forbade kegs, and only allow bottles and cans.

Truth be told, I'm glad we ended up with bottles; I suspect we'd have ended up with less variety in kegs than bottles.

Back