Fermentation with WLP 568 Saison Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed up a Saison this past weekend with an OG of 1.080 and pitched a 2000mL starter of WLP 568 that I had built up twice. Fermentation took off within 5-6 hours and after about 8 hours it started to blow out the blow off tube. I checked it the next day and bubbling seemed to have slowed considerably and then checked today and gravity is only at 1.05. The fermenter is in my closet at a temp of about 78-80F. Has anyone experienced similar results with this yeast before? Does it just need more time? I've brewed one other Saison with this yeast strain and it went from 1.075 to 1.019 on it's own at this same temp.

This beer is an AG with a rest of 60 min at 149 degrees.

I realize I might be panicking too early but this is the first beer I've made that has fermented like this.

Any input/ideas are appreciated. Thx.

Yep, I think you're panicking. Although 78 - 80 degrees is in the range for this yeast, I'd try to lower it just a little bit to 70 to 75.

I had great results with this yeast. I started at 68 and finished at 79 over a week or so. I didn't check the FG until the 3 week mark and it was right on the mark.

Good luck

How much bubbling did you have in the airlock, mine has pretty much dropped to once every 30-60 sec.

I brewed with this strain of yeast about 8 weeks ago and it seemed active for about a week.

How much bubbling did you have in the airlock, mine has pretty much dropped to once every 30-60 sec.

I brewed with this strain of yeast about 8 weeks ago and it seemed active for about a week.

Remember, length of fermentation, or airlock activity for that matter, is a very poor indicator of fermentation "health." I think for this phase of fermentation, the temperature you have it out is good. I would wait for the bubbling to slow a bit more, and then take a hydrometer reading. That is the only way you can tell.

This fermentation seemed to pick up pretty well with just a bit of agitation to get the yeast stirred back up. After the blow off last weekend it did seemed to go dormant for about a day. I checked the gravity Tuesday and it was at 1.05 (OG was 1.08), I agitated it a bit and by Wednesday it was bubbling a quite a bit again and I could see the fermentation action in the carboy. It's still as active this morning so it looks like it might turn out pretty well on it's own. I have bought a vial of WLP565 in case it needed it but don't think I'll have to use it now.

There is an article in the May/June arcticle of Zymurgy on Saisons and the author does indicate that some of the Saison strains to seem do die out but will come back to life. Looks like that may have happened here.

I brewed a black Saison last weekend with this yeast and so far not what I expected. Krausen bubbling on top (as it should) with a ton of activity in the wort, but nothing in the airlock. Lots of little bubbles in the airlock, but no actual activity. Fermentation temp is 76-78. I used a yeast starter that was prepared 3 days earlier.

Am I also paniking?

Huge fan of this yeast. I've used it twice and hit a final gravity of 1.005 in a week both times. In both situations I was only fermenting at about 70 degrees and only made a 2 quart starter. I am told most other Saison yeasts just can't finish the job and often stall. Definitely not the case with this stuff.

I would like to add to this zombie thread. I fermented this yeast for 2 days at 70ish and then 5 days at 80ish. This took my saison from 1.053 to 1.006 in a week, I was very surprised. I used a 1L starter for a 5 gallon batch. I have it carbing up now so we shall see what kind of flavors I get from it.

Both of you don't even look at the beer for 2-3wks, airlocks bubbles mean ****.

Now go play outside you two:mug:

I love this ^^ even though it is pretty old!

I just pitched this into a batch using this stuff for the first time. Using this and 3711 side by side to see which I like better. The smell of the starter, hands down 3711 smelled better but that isn't always the case with the finished product, so we'll see!
Pitched at 69 Wednesday night, and it's now at 72.5, slowly letting it rise, which is tough because it's been getting cold out at night! Probably will shoot some heat into ferm chamber tonight before bed to raise it to 73-74 and leave it there for another day then do it again another degree or so on Sunday.... Stay tuned!

Similar problems here. Using a 1 liiter starter on its 3rd time out brewing a Belgian Saison, and it is at the 3 week mark and I am still getting bubbles a couple times a minute. Fermenting a little cooler, about 68 degrees. I did use about 1/2 pound of honey just before flameout, and mashed in at 150 for 90 minutes. Since it is a blend of yeasts, though I don't know what they are and in what proportion, I suspect that over time and successive generations of starters, that certain strains will win out over the others. At $7 a pop at the LHBS, it is an expensive way to go, particularly if you can only go a couple of times with it.

I love this ^^ even though it is pretty old!

I just pitched this into a batch using this stuff for the first time. Using this and 3711 side by side to see which I like better. The smell of the starter, hands down 3711 smelled better but that isn't always the case with the finished product, so we'll see!
Pitched at 69 Wednesday night, and it's now at 72.5, slowly letting it rise, which is tough because it's been getting cold out at night! Probably will shoot some heat into ferm chamber tonight before bed to raise it to 73-74 and leave it there for another day then do it again another degree or so on Sunday.... Stay tuned!

My goodness man! You never back to tell us the results of your side by side experiment!

Latest posts

Back