can i take beer from my keg and bottle it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
I want to take some beer with me tonight but i only have kegged beer. Can i just fill up a sixer from the keg and cap it quick. they are going to b drank within 10hrs sanitized of course

Yes you can.

But like anything, there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Yeah, you'll be fine. It's only when you're getting into long term storage, or sending in to competitions that you need to get fancy (or as fancy as a racking cane stuck to a thumb tap gets). For same day consumption, I tap straight into a flip top all the time.

btw, just seeing your "on deck", I just finished a black IPA myself and have a Triple IPA on deck :rockin:

The sooner you drink them the better. I just bought a counter pressure bottle filler to enter my beer in competitions (need to bottle). One thing you can try to do to reduce foam, you will have a good amount of it, is to fit a small length of tubing in the opening of the tap (not sure of the tubing size but make sure it fits snug) and put the other end in the bottom of the bottle.

I don't know about right or wrong, but there are many ways to get beer from your keg to your bottles.

I like the "We don't need no stinking beergun" linked above. If you don't have an appropriate rubber stopper or racking cane, you can just put a tube on your picnic tap or faucet, turn the CO2 pressure way down and just flow the beer into the bottle. It'll be just fine for taking to a party.

I bottle right off my taps using a special adapter because I don't want to mess with my CO2 pressure or connect/disconnect fittings.

-Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
For same day consumption I don't worry about oxidation or sanitation but I do want to minimize foaming as that represents carbonation loss (most pubs do pretty poor growler fills if you ask me).

Get the bottles cold, like freezer cold, turn the c02 down to about 1-2 PSI, vent the keg of excess pressure, and fill with the bottle tilted slowly turn it upright as it fills. You should be able to get a very small amount of foam, that is the goal.

Back