Transfer choices from HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
This may seem like a lame pump question..

The HLT I am using is a 48qt Rubbermaid rectangular without a spigot. I heat the water with 2 bucket heaters on timers.

When I need to transfer water from cooler to MLT, I dip in 1 gal pitcher and add to MLT(Batch sparge, of course)

Not the most 21st century solution (but it works)

I was thinking of adding a spigot, which is probably the easiest..but if I bought a pump, could I transfer from HLT to MLT without a spigot, but how should I measure how much water is transferred ?..also wondering if the position of the pump relative to the water is important...

Hi Kappclark, that is exactly what I do. I use a 1/2 gallon pitcher, its a great combination of simple, fast, and done-by-hand . . . . hurray for lack of automation!

:tank:

I have a similar setup with a pump. First I heat all my water in my BK to mash temp., then I pump into the drain of my 48 qt MLT cooler and use a dip stick in the BK to determine the amount of the transfer. When mash time is nearly up I heat the remaining water in my BK to sparge temp then pump it in the drain of my HLT, again using the dipstick but usually just pump it all. Once all the water is in place (above my BK). I disconnect the pump, drain and put away, then I start to gravity feed my wort and sparge back to the BK. I never have wort in my pump so I don't have to worry about nasties too much.

I ue a 1 gallon pitcher as well. I originally had my HLT set up to gravity drain to the MLT, but found myself just using the pitcher anyways as it seemed faster and easier than waiting for a gravity drain through the small 3/8 tubing. I ended up redoing my stand and put the cooler HLT at the same level as the MLT and have been pleased w/ the simplicity and effectiveness of just using the pitcher.

Maybe I just prefer lowtech solutions??

I ue a 1 gallon pitcher as well.

Maybe I just prefer lowtech solutions??

I will stick with the pitcher method for now ... I have figured out that one of the plus items of my new setup is having ALL of the strike/sparge water just a few scoops away, inside.

This weekend was very windy both days and cold... normally I wld choose not to fight the elements (although I could) .. but I didn't have to worry abt that ... and the EdWort's HPA is chugging along very nicely now ...

Back