Can't Remove shutoff valve from CO2 regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewphilly18

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the shutoff valve from my CO2 regulator to install a tee fitting for a dual faucet setup. It seems to be stuck and I'm having a lot of trouble removing it. Any tips on how to remove it?

Welcome to HBT!

Now then, what methods have you tried to remove it? Have you clamped the regulator and tried using a pipe or channel lock wrench(those have more leverage over your run of the mill wrench...) and turning?

Here'a a picture of what my regulator looks like (generic picture that i pulled off the net). I've taken a wrench to the circled part and it won't budge. I also tried using PB Blaster and gave it a good soak, but that also did not work. I don't own a pipe wrench or a channel lock wrench so I haven't given that a try. Part of the bolt was also stripped off when I tried to unscrew it, so at this point I may be SOL.
1PressureRegulator_14_B.jpg

I think I'll probably just opt to use one of these for the time being
stainless-tees.jpg

and eventually upgrade to this:
3011.jpg

WD40 usually works. Sounds like someone may have used the wrong pipe joint compound on it. Also some bozo's use epoxy on threads and I won't name names but Midwest Brewing comes to mind.

Sometimes regulators have left handed threads instead of the normal right handed. You might actually be tightening it rather than loosening it.

Well, I can say that I removed mine and it was a right handed pipe thread. You should be able to see a portion of the remaining threads and make a left/right determination.
Mine looks very similar to yours and it was a bugger to get out. A big wench and a bench vice.
Good luck,
-David

Back