Looking for good, reliable, not cheap refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialStout

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this refractometer? Made by Extech and sells for $109 shipped. I know refractometers are available from eBay and other web sites from $15 to $60 and they all seem to be about the same. From the posts here they all work but my concern is how well and for how long. My concern is getting a plastic tool that is poorly assembled with parts that don't quite fit together well.

Have worked as an auto mechanic and carpenter. Prefer tools made by Milwaukee, Mack Tools, DeWalt or Bosch. Would never buy a tool made by Craftsman, (except for their hand tools and bar clamps) Ryobe or anything from Harbor Freight. I know theses tools work and some people swear by them. For me, they just don't have the fit and finish I expect from a quality tool that make it a pleasure to use.

What has your experience been with the $20 variety refractometer? Beside that they work, are they mostly plastic that will break if dropped? What about accuracy time after time? Some reviews say a reading has to be taken at least 3 times, all being different, and then averaged. The Extech user reviews say accuracy is dead on the first time and every time. The Extech web site says their RF-15 ATC refractometer is tested by dropping it from 3 feet and tested to see if the calibration has changed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00023RYQI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Have worked as an auto mechanic and carpenter. Prefer tools made by Milwaukee, Mack Tools, DeWalt or Bosch. Would never buy a tool made by Craftsman, (except for their hand tools and bar clamps) Ryobe or anything from Harbor Freight. I know theses tools work and some people swear by them. For me, they just don't have the fit and finish I expect from a quality tool that make it a pleasure to use.

:off: I know, I'm off topic here, but you should know that most of Craftsman tools are manufactured by Stanley Black & Decker Co... who also manufactures DeWalt, Mac, and Porter Cable... but I get what you mean, Craftsman power tools (non industrial series) is just the low-quality line of products for Stanley.:p

Ok, now back on topic, I don't own a low cost refractometer - mine is mid quality. I don't have any real complaints. It appears to be built well enough and doesn't require recalibration too often. I'm at work so not sure of the manufacturer... bought the $59 one from MoreBeer.

Thanks,

Went with the Vee Gee Scientific BTX-1 Handheld Refractometer, with Brix Scale, 0-32%, +/-0.2% Accuracy, 0.2% Resolution, 10 to 30 degree C ATC for $93.84, shipped. A little on the pricey side but then I know what I am getting.

Off topic: harbor freight sells a lot of good stuff. Just have to selectively shop. The earthquake impacts are awesome, among other things. They do sell a decent amount of USA made items.

I use the cheap $20 amazon one. Works fine. And dead on accurate when compated to my hydrometer. Just because something is expensive doesn't always mean it's better. Hasn't let me down yet!

The $59 MoreBeer dual scale (Brix & Wort SG) is the same as the RSG-100ATC found at www.RSG-100ATC.com for $23.00. Save $36 plus S&H...

HAHAHA! That explains it! I bought mine when it was on sale for like $20 off! I got roped into the whole "huge markdown" marketing scheme! Now I didn't overpay too much especially since I got free shipping, but it explains how they could mark it down so low. At first I assumed it was a loss leader item... but no! :cross:

BOught mine of amazon couple months ago for somewhere around $45 it has ATC (temp correction) with an adjustment screw (in over 20 batchs testing mash runoff, preboil gravity and post gravity boil being accurate within .001 against a hydrometer) i havent had a single problem let alone have to use the adjustment screw. The body of mine is made of metal and houses a glass lens that is the medium with a plastic hinge laying over it. No complaints at all!

This was is comes with the adjustment screwdriver and cleaning cloth and a protective case. There are cheaper ones on amazon that look the same but do not come with the padded case which in my case was a huge plus for storage and long term use.

EDIT: after looking at your link i believe that its the same exact one...same grips and all with the ATC. Make sure you aint getting ripped!

Thanks,

Went with the Vee Gee Scientific BTX-1 Handheld Refractometer, with Brix Scale, 0-32%, +/-0.2% Accuracy, 0.2% Resolution, 10 to 30 degree C ATC for $93.84, shipped. A little on the pricey side but then I know what I am getting.

I've been using that one, plus the BTX-20 with great results. IME, both are SOLID refractometers that will serve you well.

I envy you guys that have success with a refac.

I've had several and although they can approximate my hydro readings, I never found any refractometer that was reliable from one brew to another. On one occasion they will match my hydrometer, on another session they'll be 6 points off and this is with the temperature factored out. I have given up trying to use one for this reason.

If you're going to spend a bit of money on it, why not get this digital refractometer?

81a0qZD-2FL._AA1500_.jpg

I've had one for about three years now, and it seems dead-on accurate compared to my hydrometers.

I envy you guys that have success with a refac.

I've had several and although they can approximate my hydro readings, I never found any refractometer that was reliable from one brew to another. On one occasion they will match my hydrometer, on another session they'll be 6 points off and this is with the temperature factored out. I have given up trying to use one for this reason.

IMO/IME, the trick is getting a solid refractometer, not one of the cheap models. Both of the ones I have (the one the OP got, plus the more granular model) are at least 2x or 3x the weight of the cheap ones. I put the cheapie into a case, and it's sitting on a shelf now. I did modify a nice Pelican case to hold the refractometers I use, so they don't get bumped around.

Almost every time I go to use these, I confirm they're still on target for a 0 reading (at temperature). Then I use for the batch at hand.

As for the one linked by jpc... That's all well and good, IF you're looking for something and don't have anything at all yet. But, I've seen digital equipment act all funny when the batteries are starting to get low. Things like precision scales, thermometers, to name just two. I wouldn't want to have that happen with the refractometer and not realize it until much later (when it's too late).

I'm in the process of upgrading to all grain and looking into getting a refractometer as well. It will mainly be used to take readings during all grain batches, as well as OG and FG readings.

I've noticed the only really difference between the Vee Gee BTX-1 and BTX-20 is the BTX-20 has a smaller range 0-20% but a higher resolution and accuracy of 0.1%. The BTX-1's range goes from 0-32% but the resolution and accuracy are 0.2%.

I'm sure either one would be a good choice. Is the extended range necessary for taking home brew readings, or would it be better to have the more accurate refractometer?

I'm in the process of upgrading to all grain and looking into getting a refractometer as well. It will mainly be used to take readings during all grain batches, as well as OG and FG readings.

I've noticed the only really difference between the Vee Gee BTX-1 and BTX-20 is the BTX-20 has a smaller range 0-20% but a higher resolution and accuracy of 0.1%. The BTX-1's range goes from 0-32% but the resolution and accuracy are 0.2%.

I'm sure either one would be a good choice. Is the extended range necessary for taking home brew readings, or would it be better to have the more accurate refractometer?

Depends on what you expect to brew (over the long term). If you can't see having an OG above 1.080, then get the BTX-20. If you expect to brew some bigger beers, then get the BTX-1. Or get both (I did) and use them where you need. Depending on my expected OG, I'll use either. When it comes time to get the FG reading, I usually grab the BTX-20.

Before investing in a refractometer, you may want to do a bit of research into problems associated with refractometers and brewing, especially with regards to reading the final gravity.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/refractometer-question-362437/ gives some good information on some of the problems associated with refractometers, and there are plenty more threads dealing with final gravity estimates.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying refractometers are not good, just that you have to learn the potential problems associated with them. I love mine, and it works great for the beers that I brew most of the time, but I suspect that it may give me slightly inaccurate results on beers that I only brew occasionally.

I have just received an accurate hydrometer that will enable me to compare refractometer readings with hydrometer readings, and within the next couple of weeks will be able to start some experiments that hopefully will be able to shed some more light on Brix to S.G. conversions.

-a.

Back