All Stainless Steel Hop Spider (pictures)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastoak

Reaction score
i've been looking for a stainless hop spider for some time to resolve some kettle draining issues i had when using pellet hops. i bought the HopStopper and it never did work very well with pellet hops, excellent for leaf hops but the pellet hops would cause clogging and i'd sometimes leave 1/2 gallon or more of wort in the kettle. i looked into making a stainless mesh basket myself but this basket was $90 and all i had to do was wait for it to come to me. this weekend i'll see how well it works. i will leave the HopStopper on even though it's not on in the photos.

16300625_Tc7VdP
[/url][/IMG]

16300625_Tc7VdP
[/url][/IMG]

16300625_Tc7VdP
[/url][/IMG]

16300625_Tc7VdP
[/url][/IMG]

I'll look forward to your results. It looks amazing. I also have been using a hopstopper for years and even though I use leaf hops I still feel it slows the flow out of the kettle too much and it's hard to clean.
:mug:

Can you tell us the measurement from the bottom of the basket to the underside of the legs? Does it come close to the bottom of your kettle?

Can you tell us the measurement from the bottom of the basket to the underside of the legs? Does it come close to the bottom of your kettle?

18 1/4 inches from the bottom of the basket to the underside of the arms/legs (however you want to look at it :D) from the bottom of my keg to the basket it's about 3 1/2 inches maybe a little bit more but not much. the basket is 6 1/2 inches across. i have a european keg that's shorter so the basket is about 2 inches off of the bottom of the keg. bought this at stainlessbrewing.com a vendor on these forums.

this thing worked perfectly, i love it. 4oz of pellet hops in a 5 gallon batch and i was able to go from the kettle to the plate chiller into the fermentor using just gravity. i did start the siphon with the pump but turned it off after the wort was flowing. with that amount of pellet hops the siphon is usually lost near the end and i have to pulse the pump a few times to get the flow going. the very finest hop dust does get through but that flows through the chiller with ease the bigger dip tube/plate chiller cloggers stay in the basket. i'm pretty sure i can do away with the HopStopper and just use the hop spider. this hop spider is well worth the price, to me anyway.

Wow... That's pretty. Gives me a stirring in my loins the type of which I haven't felt for about 35 years, when I first discovered a friend's dad's pr0n stash...

That thing is awesome, wonder if they could make a shorter version to work with wide and short brew kettles?

Thanks for the pictures Eastoak. I'm curious why you didn't get the hook legs/arms. Wouldn't that pretty much stabilize the strainer in the middle of the keggle? He shows a picture on the stainlessbrewing.com website (bottom picture) that shows the 6.5 in with hook arms on a keggle and I think that's what I want even though in the comments he indicates the straight legs are for the keggle? Aren't the keg diamaters pretty consistent?

Thanks for the pictures Eastoak. I'm curious why you didn't get the hook legs/arms. Wouldn't that pretty much stabilize the strainer in the middle of the keggle? He shows a picture on the stainlessbrewing.com website (bottom picture) that shows the 6.5 in with hook arms on a keggle and I think that's what I want even though in the comments he indicates the straight legs are for the keggle? Aren't the keg diamaters pretty consistent?

i didn't think about how nice those hooked arms would have been until i was using it :( having said that i find that it works very well without them, it does not slip off when i'm using it.

The straight legs are cut to fit on top portion of the keg that's been cut out. The last leg needs to be inserted through the keg handle. This will keep the legs from slipping out as it rests against the upper keg wall. I've seen a number of people using it this way as well. Glad it's working out for you!

Thanks for all the advice. I placed my order yesterday. Looking forward to brewing without the hopstopper hassles.

this thing worked perfectly, i love it. 4oz of pellet hops in a 5 gallon batch and i was able to go from the kettle to the plate chiller into the fermentor using just gravity. i did start the siphon with the pump but turned it off after the wort was flowing. with that amount of pellet hops the siphon is usually lost near the end and i have to pulse the pump a few times to get the flow going. the very finest hop dust does get through but that flows through the chiller with ease the bigger dip tube/plate chiller cloggers stay in the basket. i'm pretty sure i can do away with the HopStopper and just use the hop spider. this hop spider is well worth the price, to me anyway.

How easy are these to clean? I'm especially concerned with how much pellet debris collects over time. With a paint strainer bag, I just toss it out and use a fresh one each brew session. That said, I'd rather use stainless if it isn't too much of a hassle.

Thanks for any info!

I was looking at this on the stainless brewing site and it is listed as $68 instead of $90. Am I missing something?

Bought one of these a couple of months ago, have brewed 5 times with it. A very nice piece of equipment...works very well, I use both leaf and pellet hops with no issue. This is definately something to add to your Christmas Wish List!!!!

I had a Stainless Spider made, but wrapped the 40 mesh in 304 14GA 1/8" on 3/16" Perf. It's 9" OD and 16" Tall. Gotta figure out how much grain it can hold because it's strong enough for BIAB for sure.

20130816_113339.jpg

Back