A Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, whomever is in charge of casting should be knighted... or something. Salidor Saan, Melisandre (good god, Im going to try not to think about her at work) and Davos all three would make you think they started with the actor and GRRM wrote the stories using them as a model.

One actually feels some sympathy for the Captain's daughter in the book, so thats a little different, but we did get to see Amy Dawson naked so thats cool.

Am I the only one who read the book who feels like someone is going to have to do an Ilyn Payne to keep them from blabbing spoilers?

CreamyGoodness said:
Again, whomever is in charge of casting should be knighted... or something. Salidor Saan, Melisandre (good god, Im going to try not to think about her at work) and Davos all three would make you think they started with the actor and GRRM wrote the stories using them as a model.

One actually feels some sympathy for the Captain's daughter in the book, so thats a little different, but we did get to see Amy Dawson naked so thats cool.

Am I the only one who read the book who feels like someone is going to have to do an Ilyn Payne to keep them from blabbing spoilers?

I totally agree. I saw Davos as different but that actor is great. Sallador is spot on as is Melisandre.

The capt daughter is...rough. Yara (asha) was different than how I saw her. I'm not sure that was a great casting decision. Also I read COK so long ago that I forgot but did she just sit there while Theon...you know had his way? Also can't wait for Theon to get his due.

She takes his hand off a couple times, but only in such a way as to egg him on. I think casting a Greyjoy would be easy, just find an actor capable of being completely unlikable.

Also, not sure what Theon's favorite onion is, but it rhymes with "beak."
I totally agree. I saw Davos as different but that actor is great. Sallador is spot on as is Melisandre.

The capt daughter is...rough. Yara (asha) was different than how I saw her. I'm not sure that was a great casting decision. Also I read COK so long ago that I forgot but did she just sit there while Theon...you know had his way? Also can't wait for Theon to get his due.

Definitely hoping this show continues on for each book. It's good, but feast for crows by far the worst so I don't know how good that season would be.

Is anyone tired of Dany yet? She got on my nerves in the book, partly because she whines but also because her story drags on.

They have already started to deviate slightly from the books. Removing characters, combining character, adding characters etc. I think they are doing a fine job and am really looking forward to see where this season goes.

I'm not sure where the Dany story will go in the show. They already killed two characters from her story line in last weeks episode who don't die in the books. I have a feeling that they will skip a bunch of her story. But, I also think she is a character that will never go away in the show or the books.

Liquidicem said:
They have already started to deviate slightly from the books. Removing characters, combining character, adding characters etc. I think they are doing a fine job and am really looking forward to see where this season goes.

I'm not sure where the Dany story will go in the show. They already killed two characters from her story line in last weeks episode who don't die in the books. I have a feeling that they will skip a bunch of her story. But, I also think she is a character that will never go away in the show or the books.

What characters have they omitted or combined. I was also confused, I thought Rakharo lived. Didn't all of her scouts come back in the book?

I forget his name, it began with an M I think... Khal Drogo cuts his tongue out and kills him in the show, he's still being a heel in the books.

I think Alton Lannister is a good example of a combination, basically a way to inform the audience that not everyone in house Lannister is a maniac or a Tyrion (see what I did there... hehe) and also filled them in on the fact that Tyrion isnt defensive with his entire family, just the ones closest to him. He thanks the new Alton character and wishes him safety and a good night without sarcasm.

Same thing with Ros... her various orifaces serve as exposition (or sexposition if you will... har!)

I like what they are doing with Ros. The books didn't seem to make much a big deal about all King Robert's bastards being killed. At least that's how I remember it.

Also good that Gendry figures out Arya is a girl right away. Supposedly she looks like LeAnna who's supposed to be this beauty, but then it's easy for her to be a boy?? I guess it's all in the haircut...

Show is so good! And man is Margaery smoking hot. Loved the parts with Tyrion and Jorgen in this episode.

Also like the part with Margaery and Renly.

Just finished watching the latest episode. Damn. Totally unforeseen events.-

Tyrion kicks butt in this one, he succeeds in being a villain against the three villains.

I imagine the next episode is even more surprising, cant get enough of GOT!

Brienne was always in my top 5 favorite characters, and she pretty much exploded onto the screen. I forget the actress's name, but if you look at her other work you'll know they had to uglify her quite a bit. So far, she's knocking the performance out of the park.

Show is so good! And man is Margaery smoking hot. Loved the parts with Tyrion and Jorgen in this episode.

Also like the part with Margaery and Renly.

Man I can't stand the actress for Margaery. Have you guys ever seen The Tudors? She played Anne Boleyn. That actress does very weird things with her mouth. Like half the time she's puckering like she's snoody or trying to contain a laugh or something. I can't stand it.

Last night's episode was solid though. Good character building and no ridiculous over the top sex scenes.

Man I can't stand the actress for Margaery. Have you guys ever seen The Tudors? She played Anne Boleyn. That actress does very weird things with her mouth. Like half the time she's puckering like she's snoody or trying to contain a laugh or something. I can't stand it.

Last night's episode was solid though. Good character building and no ridiculous over the top sex scenes.

i could have skipped the gay makeout

Agreed, she does do weird things with her mouth but I was kind of attracted to it. And how could you not be attracted to her when she undressed? To each their own though.

i could have skipped the gay makeout

Agreed. It was quite extended.

Brienne was always in my top 5 favorite characters, and she pretty much exploded onto the screen. I forget the actress's name, but if you look at her other work you'll know they had to uglify her quite a bit. So far, she's knocking the performance out of the park.

Agreed - she's tough as hell!

Anybody have a clue as to the reason for the renaming of Asha?

Another solid show. That scene with joffrey was interesting, definitely not in the book but if anyone was confused about what kind of monster joffrey is, that cleared things up.

Also the melisandre shadow birth was pretty interesting.

Yes, I'll be very happy when his head gets chopped off (or dies a painful death).

They sure aren't showing the dragons much. I had expected this season to be centered around them.

The designated brew for the GoT ritual that we conduct every Sunday night here at Castle Black is a Stone Clone Brew. Stone and Only Stone. Depending on the previous episode and where it left off we may have brews ranging from a simple Arrogant Bastard clone to Ruination IPA clone to Sublimely Self Righteous clone. Actually for this very next episode we are having Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine. It is fit, considering the unreal ending of the last episode. (I mean really: she squirted a demon-like creature!).

For the Red Wedding I have brewed a special brew, a Red Ale, Blood Red must like A.B but with larger testicles, so to speak. ;)

If you prefer the Red Wedding recipe is yours.

Happy brewing and enjoy the show.

The referenced wedding will not take place until a future season. I don't think it's fair to non-book readers to foreshadow events in the future though, even if only in vague form.

Photo.jpg

Just because they know what it's called doesn't really clue then into anything else.

Granted, we should probably keep future plot discussions to a minimum.

Everyone just needs to go read the books, you'll understand the show much better.

As an experienced SoIaF fan and novice home-brewer, I'm trying to plan a series of brews for next season based on Westerosi houses. It will give me 12 months to develop recipes, which might even be cutting it close considering I am still cutting my teeth on extract kits.

My thoughts proceed thusly:
Winterfell Winter Ale (A Spiced Christmas Porter)
Castle Black Cream Stout
Highgarden Peach Lambic
Kings Landing Honey-wheat
Sunspear Hypocras

Capsicumel with just a touch of cobra venom for House Martell ;)

House Greyjoy- Seawater. Yup. Just seawater.

House Tyrell- Thisell and rose hip Rhodemel (for the Knight of Flowers and Queen of Thorns)

As an experienced SoIaF fan and novice home-brewer, I'm trying to plan a series of brews for next season based on Westerosi houses. It will give me 12 months to develop recipes, which might even be cutting it close considering I am still cutting my teeth on extract kits.

My thoughts proceed thusly:
Winterfell Winter Ale (A Spiced Christmas Porter)
Castle Black Cream Stout
Highgarden Peach Lambic
Kings Landing Honey-wheat
Sunspear Hypocras

The referenced wedding will not take place until a future season. I don't think it's fair to non-book readers to foreshadow events in the future though, even if only in vague form.

I assure you good friend, I have neither read the books nor do i intend to. It only adds more to the suspense of the show itself.

As for the Red Wedding I haven't the vaguest clue of what it is only that it is worthy of brew made in its name. Something to complement a ritual, if you may.

Happy brewing to ya and may G.R.R.M live an eternity!

I am relatively sure that I cannot stand not knowing what the author will do with this story, so I have determined I am going to read the books now. I will get them on my way home from work.

My disagreement is both respectful and complete.

I'd agree that Feast for Crows wasnt the BEST of the books, but it was FAR from terrible. But then, I'm the guy who likes eating blood pudding, so I know tastes vary.
Minus Feast for Crows. That one is pretty terrible.

I like Feast For Crows too. The only problem with it is that it comes after the perfection known as A Storm of Swords.

Honestly I liked Clash of Kings the best. Storm of Swords was good as well. While Dance of Dragons set up a lot of things for Winds of Winter, it was lackluster as well.

Ranking from best to worst for me;
1) Clash of Kings
2) Storm of Swords
3) Game of Throns
4) Dance of Dragons
5) Feast for Crows

Just have to interject here. I'm loving this show. I can't wait for each episode.

It's kind of like BSG in a fantasty setting. But with more sex and violence and less spaceships.

Still waiting for the little boy/girl to start cutting people up. You KNOW she's going to!

Back