wooden bottle tray for grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marosell

Reaction score
I have 70 grolsch bottles to use for my homebrew batches. If I make 5 gallon patches (40 pints / 40 bottles) I really only have to drink half of the batch before I can bottle something else :)

Anyways, I need some trays for these bottles, right now they are just loose in boxes, and they can't be that way when I bottle next week. Anyone built any wooden crates? You know, like the ones beer and coke/pepsi bottles used to come in. Lookin to either find or make a few crates, a stackable system, and of decent quality that will hold my bottles for years to come.

:mug:

I use those big Rubbermaid containers. The size I have fits 24 Grolsch bottles PERFECTLY. Plus, they are leak proof if you ever have a bottle crack or explode.

have you ever had one explode? i'd really like to get out my woodworking skills and make something, but i was looking for some already made plans. i guess i'll just have to start from scratch.

I looked into this as well. Unless you have a cheap (meaning free) source of plywood you'll find those boxes rather expensive to make. Definitely cheaper to go with the rubbermaid bins.

I have never had one explode, but I did have one where the bottom literally fell out when I picked it up. Strangest thing ever. It must have been dropped and cracked, and the pressure was just right for it to burst when I picked it up. It made a REAL mess. Unfortunately, it wasn't in the bin at the time. :(

Yeah, I make my own wooden crates. I just measured the dimensions of an old Sam Adams cardboard box and went from there. Some times Lowe's will damage out their 1x12 pine boards for 90% off if they have cracks, splits, twists, etc...

Good thing I work at Lowe's and the wood always seems damaged right around the time I need some... ;)

Back