1.106 OG Primary Fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frothymonk

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgian quadruple as a base for a clone of Ommegang's Three Philosophers. My recipe is
1lb Belgian biscuit malt
1lb Belgian Cara-Munich malt
1lb Special B malt
9.9 lbs light SME
3.3 lbs dark SME
1lb Belgian clear candy sugar
3 oz Hallerteau
1 tsp. Irish moss
1 liter starter of Wyeast 1214 Belgian Abbey Ale
I will add Lindeman's Kriek Lambic during the bottling.
The O.G. was 1.106 and I would like the Final Gravity to reach 1.024-1.026.
I currently have had this in the primary for 12 days @ 73 degrees. Should I rack to the secondary, or wait?

i would say leave it in the primary for at least a month... you didnt add much yeast given the gravity. so try to leave it in the primary for as long as you can stomach.

Just to help give it some more clarity and let some of the flavors develop since fermentation has slowed. I used a plastic ale pail for the primary and covered it with saran wrap and aluminum foil. I don't want to keep it in there and risk aeration.

Just to help give it some more clarity and let some of the flavors develop since fermentation has slowed. I used a plastic ale pail for the primary and covered it with saran wrap and aluminum foil. I don't want to keep it in there and risk aeration.

no reason for it to become oxidized (I think that is what you meant) given the manner in which you are treating it.

It's going to take a few months of aging to be drinkable anyway, what rush the fermentation?

Thanks for the advice Optimatored. I couldn't resist checking on it after 12 days in the primary, and much to my surprise it is down from 1.106 to 1.019. So it should be around 11.5% ABV. I don't expect the yeast will ferment beyond this point. I tasted the sample used for the hydrometer reading and it tastes like scotch. Do you think aging it will help to mellow out the sharpness of the alcohol?

I find that aging it at around 50* helps calm the fusel alcohols better than room temp. Give it a taste after 2 months of aging.

You fermented a little hot and that is one bad-ass beer so it will take some time to come into its stride. The recipe looks very yummy. Let it sit till Thanksgiving/X-mas, preferable cooler.

Latest posts

Back