Best temps for IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRok

Reaction score
What is the ideal or recommended temps for IPA's during secondary fermentation? Then is 33 ok after it's bottled?

Why are you using a secondary? Just leave it in primary.

Are you dry hopping?

I don't know if there is a recommended temp after you've moved it to the secondary. It depends on a lot. How long was it in the primary, was the yeast through its growth phase when you racked it? If 'primary' fermentation was indeed done and you racked it, temperature isn't too critical, I would keep it between 60-75F. You basically don't want the yeast to go completely dormant and you don't want to boil them. After you bottle, you will want to keep the bottles at about 70F while the beer carbs up over several weeks and then you can either move them to the fridge or store them at or close to cellar temperature to age for a bit

I'm not moving it to a second, I was asking about the period when the secondary fermentation occurs after the yeast goes through the growth phase. I was under the impression that during the first couple days it should be at a different temp than the remaining 4-6 weeks. I'm a newb, so bare with me. Thanks for all the input so far guys.

If you want to keep the yeast profile as minimal as possible you want the fermentation temperature inside the fermentation vessel to be at the low end of your yeast's recommended range for the entire time before bottling.

Because the first several days of fermentation are usually most vigorous you will likely want the ambient temperature to be lower during this time to keep fermentation temperature lower, after most of the fermentation is complete the temperature inside the fermentor will usually be closer to ambient.

i.e. let's say your fermenting with s-05, the suggested range is 59-75F. You'll want to keep the temperature INSIDE the fermenter around 60F the entire time. During the first 2-5 days the active fermentation can raise the temperature inside as much as 10f so placing the fermentor in a room, fridge or swamp cooler around 50-55f should keep the fermentation at 60F. After active fermentation has slowed you can move the fermentor to a location where amibent is 60F because their is less heat being produced by the fermentation.

I'd start low on the yeast's range and after the bulk of fermentation is over, feel free to move it up gradually to the low 70s. Most of the fermentation will be over, and with it the chance that the yeast will create off flavors. The raise in temps will help the yeast continue to clean up the by products from the first part.

After 3-4 weeks of sitting there in the fermenter, cold crash and bottle/keg.

I'd start low on the yeast's range and after the bulk of fermentation is over, feel free to move it up gradually to the low 70s. Most of the fermentation will be over, and with it the chance that the yeast will create off flavors. The raise in temps will help the yeast continue to clean up the by products from the first part.

After 3-4 weeks of sitting there in the fermenter, cold crash and bottle/keg.

+1, and once you bottle you need to leave it for another few weeks at room temperature to allow it to carbonate before chilling it

Back