O rings.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I can't seem to source any Teflon O-rings.

I've had Vitron suggested to me.

22mm id 2mm thickness
Viton® withstands high temperature and simultaneously retains its good mechanical properties better than most other elastomers. Oil and chemical resistance also are relatively unaffected by elevated temperatures. Compounds of Viton® remain usefully elastic indefinitely when exposed to laboratory air oven aging up to 204°C (400°F) or to intermittent test exposures up to 260°C (500°F). High temperature service limits are generally considered to be:

3,000 hr. at 232°C (450°F)
1,000 hr. at 260°C (500°F)
240 hr. at 288°C (550°F)
48 hr. at 316°C (600°F)

What do you think, could I use these for my system?

orfy said:
I can't seem to source any Teflon O-rings.

I've had Vitron suggested to me.

22mm id 2mm thickness
Viton® withstands high temperature and simultaneously retains its good mechanical properties better than most other elastomers. Oil and chemical resistance also are relatively unaffected by elevated temperatures. Compounds of Viton® remain usefully elastic indefinitely when exposed to laboratory air oven aging up to 204°C (400°F) or to intermittent test exposures up to 260°C (500°F). High temperature service limits are generally considered to be:

3,000 hr. at 232°C (450°F)
1,000 hr. at 260°C (500°F)
240 hr. at 288°C (550°F)
48 hr. at 316°C (600°F)

What do you think, could I use these for my system?
What about Silicone ones - hi temps and FDA approved?

McMASTER-CARR Web Site said:
Buna-N (nitrile) is used in oil applications. Temperature range is -35° to +250° F. Durometer hardness is A70. Meets SAE J200. Color is black.
Viton has excellent chemical and oil resistance. Temperature range is -15° to +400° F. Durometer hardness is A75. Meets SAE J200. Color is black.
Silicone has good low and high temperature resistance. Temperature range is -65° to +450° F. Durometer hardness is A70. Meets FDA 21CFR.177. Color is red-orange.
EPDM (ethylene propylene) is used in applications requiring weather resistance. Temperature range is -65° to +212° F. Durometer hardness is A70. Meets SAE J200.

Search "Teflon Encapsulated"oring. Solid tefon is rather hard and makes a crappy seal. Most teflon orings are thin wall teflon with a slicone or viton core. Kalrez or Chemraz would be ideal, but you need very very deap pockets.

What's your application? Fluoroelastomer (some call it VITON, that's a trademark) can withstand a lot of conditions but not all. Also, some compounds are FDA compliant for food contact. Tell us more, or refer me to an original thread.

I just bought some viton o-rings to go on the inside of the weldless bulkhead on my keggle. They are expensive. Hope they dont kill me. (but please tell me if they may)

Yeast Infection:

I use fluoroelastomer orings on my Shirron chiller. No problem, they are not food grade, but only because this particular formulation wasn't tested for FDA indirect food contact status.

You can rest easy, there is nothing in the fluoroelastomer oring that will leach out and bother you. Short of direct flame, they will withstand any heat and chemical combination we experience in beermakin'.

Back