Right Under My Nose (Commercial Beer Recommendations)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamJessin

Reaction score
So here in Brigewater, NJ we have quite a few liquor stores. There is even a Drive-thru. I have been unable to find a good beer selection. Yesterday, however, I stepped into a Super Saver Liquor on route 22 next to the Ace. Oddly enough, the first box of beer I saw was a Rye beer. The small brewery selection is phenomenal. They have a whole aisle devoted to single bottle beers divided into sections based on type and geographic origin! The owner found me, picked my jaw off the ground, and let me know he would order anything. So, what beers should I be trying??!?!?!

I started with Meantime Coffee Porter and the Bruery Orchard White.

Your only reasonable choice is to work your way down the line. Once you've done that, you'll know what you need to buy more of.

When I'm in Princeton I always hit up Joe Canal's and buy up whatever they've got on hand from Lagunitas. Man I love that brewery.

3 beers from Bell's that you'll love: Hopslam, Third Coast Old Ale, and Expedition Stout. All killer, but I'm not sure if they distribute to NJ. Also, anything from Short's, but I have had trouble finding that even in Michigan until recently.

But above anything, get your hands on some of the trappist beers (Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, and the others that I can't remember or spell) if you've never had them. Really amazing stuff.

Oh, Bell's has a beer called "Third Coast Beer" too, not the same as the old ale. I've never had the 3rd coast beer, but the old ale is the one you want.

Nice! This week I will check out anchor porter, hacker pschorr, and weihenstephan!

I also bought a Founder IPA but found out it was twistie tops!!! Good beer, but useless bottles.

Anchor Porter if he can get it.

My nearest beer store is about 30 minutes away, so I was happy to find Anchor Porter for $8.99 a sixer at a nearby Lowe's Foods (which actually has a decent selection).

I'll probably give it a try tonight. Beer Advocate says pretty good things. :mug:

My nearest beer store is about 30 minutes away, so I was happy to find Anchor Porter for $8.99 a sixer at a nearby Lowe's Foods (which actually has a decent selection).

I'll probably give it a try tonight. Beer Advocate says pretty good things. :mug:

Well, how was it?

if I could only choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, that would be it, but I know everybody's taste is different.

I don't know if west coast micros are available in NJ, but anything brewed by Stone or Russian River (call me a fanboy).

Well, how was it?

if I could only choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, that would be it, but I know everybody's taste is different.

I opted to have an IPA (Mendocino White Hawk) instead of the porter, as I was having the beer with lasagna.

The IPA was less than impressive, but still decent. I hope to try the porter tomorrow night. :mug:

It really all depends on what they have and how big of selection. We have places where they have a ton of single bottles from smal breweries that all seem to suck. ANY Founders brew is fantastic.

Well, how was it?

Finally got around to trying it last night.

I can say that it's one of the most interesting and complex porters that I've tried. I thought it had much more of a coffee and chocolate flavor than most porters (and even some stouts), and I appreciated that.

The funny thing was, as soon as I tasted the beer it reminded me of another beer, but I couldn't think of which one.

My wife asked to try it and, after doing so, replied that it "Tastes like Guinness."

At first I scoffed, but then I realized she was right. The sourness I've come to know in Guinness is very much prevalent in Anchor Porter. Both beers have that twangy/sour quality about them.

This is all to say that I enjoyed it. :mug:

It really all depends on what they have and how big of selection. We have places where they have a ton of single bottles from smal breweries that all seem to suck.

I think that is sometimes due to the age of the beer. I've seen reviews of beers (from a bottle) that use words like "no aroma" and "stale" which were 180 degrees out of what I experienced. But I lived in the distribution area for those beers or had brewery fresh, and the reviewers didn't.

Wines can spoil in as little as 20 days at elevated temperatures; why wouldn't the same be true for complex beers? If the beer was shipped cross country in a hot truck, stored at a warehouse for a couple of weeks in August, then on the shelf at the store for a year....

So, like another poster mentioned, getting "east coast" beers makes sense for someone out there. One can always make one of the clones for Stone and Russian River to get a feel for what the "other coast" brews....

I haven't been disappointed with anything by Founders. It's not available (yet) in NYC where I tend to make most of my beer purchases, but I've found it at the crappy liquor stores in Sayreville NJ. I can't seem to be able to get their special/seasonal stuff in those stores though. The Canadian and Kentucky Breakfast Stouts receive some exceptional reviews.

I grew up in Bridgewater and moved to Lancaster about 6 years ago. Liquor save is quite good. I know they carry the rougue line in individual bottles. Also they have some unique hard liquor. Try the Voyant Chai Liquor if they have it. I know they only carry it at some of there stores.

Got out of my day job with three hours to spare. I picked up the George Hal and Co. Prize Old Ale. I have never tasted anything like this in my life. This was the Old Ale I remember seeing, and I will have to compare it with the one mentioned earlier. Goes good with my ham and mashed potatoes, too!

They do have the Stone's line, although that is pretty common here.

Also, one of the employees was playing some 80's Dead. It was a nice touch.

Thanks for all the suggestions, gang!

Back