wow, 2 weeks is gonna be a long time to wait...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave6187

Reaction score
and then I have 3 more weeks to wait after that... Got my first visible sign of fermentation this morning (a bubble in the air lock every couple of seconds. I just wanna pop the lid off the bucket and see whats going on...

sorry about the pointlessness of this thread, but I see what you guys mean about the long wait

after 10 days, start another batch. this way, you can avoid the whole waiting thing for the whole 21 days ;)

I just wanna pop the lid off the bucket and see whats going on...

I plan on buying a 6.5 gallon carboy to use as a primary. The 6.5 gallon provides enough headroom for the krausen (you may still need a blowoff tube), but it also allows you to see what's going on. If you received a 5 gallon carboy with your equipment kit, DO NOT use this as a primary, you will have a HUGE mess on your hands when the krausen starts spitting everywhere.

I take it this is your first brew (or one of your first)? My first one is in the fermenter and every day I go "Ok, how many days has it been now? 4? DAMN!"

Try waiting longer than 2 weeks before bottling, you will be rewarded. Start the next batch and get another fermentor if you need to you are going to want to have beer on tap so you can be patient while the next batch is bubbling/conditioning away.

Sometimes even the old-timers have this problem. I floated my session ale and the Red Mild I'm making to replace it is still chugging. So, I'm looking at the end of the month before I can mow the lawn.:ban:

(I've got 2 acres of gopher-infested slope and I hate cutting it.)

yea, was planning on doing that with my better bottle. Was gonna try making some of edworts apfelwein :)

Careful, Edwort's Apfelwein will take up that fermenter for ~6 weeks. I recommend buying a 5 gallon carboy for Apfelwein and other long-term brews. You can let it sit for awhile and not miss it then.

well the carboy better bottle is a 5gal, iirc(was meant to be a secondary in my kit). I'll probably pick up another bucket, or a 6.5 gal better bottle so I can keep something goin at all times

I'm on my 5th or 6th brew, can't even remember how long it's been in primary... maybe I should look that up. May need to rack that this weekend.

Just get a few carboys. If you have one empty you can always brew. When they're all full and you want to brew you're out of luck. (This will always happen on the day your LHBS is closed)

i just brewed my third this past weekend and my first two are sadly, almost all gone.

i wish it took longer to drink it than it does to get it ready to drink.

i need to brew more. problem solved.

congrats!

and then I have 3 more weeks to wait after that... Got my first visible sign of fermentation this morning (a bubble in the air lock every couple of seconds. I just wanna pop the lid off the bucket and see whats going on...

sorry about the pointlessness of this thread, but I see what you guys mean about the long wait

Yeah, I took up drinking as a hobby while waiting for my brewing hobby to get going... :drunk:

Get another carboy and make a new beer! That way you will always have something to drink and something to brew!

Back