Is 50-52 too cold for aging with Brett/lactic cultures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmonger

Reaction score
Right now my cellar is around 50-52 degrees F, and I am aging some stuff with brett and lactic cultures on oak. Just wondering if this is too cold, or what effect it will have?

Brett is slow at 70, so at 50 you'll need to let it sit for 2-3 years;). I would either move it somewhere warmer or place it in a tub of water with an aquarium heater

I was planning on letting it age for at least one year. The cellar should get up to around 70-75 by the middle of summer, so I may just let it stay where it is.

As long as the bret is still there and isn't dead or dormant, I should be ok, no?

I was planning on letting it age for at least one year. The cellar should get up to around 70-75 by the middle of summer, so I may just let it stay where it is.

As long as the bret is still there and isn't dead or dormant, I should be ok, no?

70 Is just right for a lambic that has already been fermenting a couple of months.

Back