Going pro in Oklahoma - Roughtail Brewing Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I havent been posting for awhile....because I've spent the past year going through the process of opening up a new brewery in Oklahoma City!!

I just wanted to let everybody know that we're coming, especially all the Okies on the forum!

My business partner and I wrote our business plan last September, spent a solid 6 months fundraising, and have reached the point where we have a signed lease on a building, a 7bbl system that is bought and paid for in transit (should be here late December), have full brand development working with a great local firm, are in final review with the TTB, and expect to be in production by January!!

Check us out on the Facebook, www.facebook.com/Roughtailbeer

I hope to have more info to share soon, thanks for reading!!

roughtail.jpg

Oh yeah I can't wait to try some of your professionally brewed beer. I hope it is as good as the stuff from your garage.

Is that a gecko? Those things are great. Never saw one outside FL or HI though. Glad it's not a condom reference or a deer hunting reference. Though weirdly it would make more sense...

Yeah, the Roughtail Gecko is found in the southwest region....we thought his badass demeanor perfectly personifies our style:

Nice! Sadly I have no idea where Oklahoma is!

Never though of a gecko as badass but yeah..!. i like that picture you posted.

Cheers!!!! Best of luck. I'll be sure to look for your stuff. I live in Tulsa now but grew up inOKC and still have a lot of family there, so I am back often. Can't wait to sample your brews!!!!

Nice! Sadly I have no idea where Oklahoma is!

Never though of a gecko as badass but yeah..!. i like that picture you posted.

We are right above Texas :). Anyway, that is awesome! I am currently near the Tulsa area as well. You said production is gonna start in January, is there anyway to get our hands on any of your beer before then? Would love to check it out. And congratulations on taking the leap and starting up your own business. I hope you both do well.

You said production is gonna start in January, is there anyway to get our hands on any of your beer before then?

We are trying to participate in every home brew event in Oklahoma, just a few weeks ago we were pouring at the Mashed In OKC event. I'll keep the board updated if we'll be at any other upcoming events.

Can't get to the facebook page. Members only.

Sorry, I too was a non-facebooker until this thing launched. You can check out www.roughtailbeer.com also. Right now it's a pretty basic blog site that we put together, but we're actually getting together with the web design company this afternoon to hammer out the pro website. Hope to have that in 4-6 weeks.

Also, our initial releases will be a sessionable hoppy red ale, a big IPA, and our take on an American strong ale. We want to make aggressive beers that you can still enjoy drinking several pints of. Trying to fill a big gap in the market in Oklahoma between the easy drinking, approachable beers and the crazy cork&cage esoteric stuff.

Congratulations and best of luck. I grew up in Tulsa and have lots of friends around OKC. I'll make sure to have them check you guy's out. Good to see more craft beer in Oklahoma. Work hard !!!

Looking forward to having some more local breweries in the state. We need more/better local breweries! Seems like a lot of the companies opening up in OK are trying to make crappy 3.2 beers so they can sell them everywhere that doesn't serve liquor. We need high gravity beers!! Give us the good stuff! and good luck!

We just received our TTB Brewers Notice! Surprisingly, this was the easy part of the licensing process. We submitted the application online and it was finished and approved in less than 60 days with no hoops to jump through or no hassling us. Now we're focused on getting the city permitting, which is proving to be quite the challenge. Bureaucracy at work!! You'd think that the city gov't would do everything in its power to get new businesses up and running, and the Feds would throw us all the red tape, but it's been just the opposite!!

Great news. I would have expected the city to give you the most trouble. Since in OKC if your not trying to open a church or 7-11 on every street corner there must be something wrong with you.

hows it coming along man?

Things are good! Our brewing equipment should be here in a few days, we're wrapping up the city permitting, website is being developed...everything is on track for a late January launch.

Right now we're working on raising the money to install a canning line...check out our Kickstarter project.

AWesome stuff! Congrats! I'm in Bristow, just up the ol' turnpike. I will definitely give your beer a try. I love seeing more breweries opening up in OK. Good luck with everything!

good news. got to go to a party last weekend with brewers from choc, marshalls and prairie artisan ales. lots of free beer and fun. our state is starting to turn the beer scene around and its about damn time. thanks for keeping us posted.

they are on shelves, at least in OKC. I think they are due in Tulsa soon, if they aren't already here. I know tapwerks has some of their gear on draught.

Sweet- I'll have to ask my friends in Norman if they've seen any yet. They get around to the big cities too, if Roughtail isn't distributing very far yet.

I'd like to find a Liquor Store in the OKC area where they stock a bunch this stuff. I love it at the local pub, but would like to grab a sixer or 4 for the house. Really enjoying my pints of the 12th Round, but want to try the Split Decision and Hoptometrist.

Okie liquor stores storing the beer hot is sacrilege...got to get that law out and the crazy ass distribution laws fixed. Need tap rooms at these breweries!

I'd like to find a Liquor Store in the OKC area where they stock a bunch this stuff. I love it at the local pub, but would like to grab a sixer or 4 for the house. Really enjoying my pints of the 12th Round, but want to try the Split Decision and Hoptometrist.

Okie liquor stores storing the beer hot is sacrilege...got to get that law out and the crazy ass distribution laws fixed. Need tap rooms at these breweries!

Hey man, thanks for the support! Our canning line is up and running and you should be able to find IPA, Polar Night Stout and 12th Round Ale in most of the better liquor stores around Oklahoma in 16oz can 4 packs. Hoptometrist is pretty much gone for now, but we plan to bring it back later this year...and we should be releasing a "double oatmeal Russian imperial stout" at the end of January in 750ml bottles.

Thanks again,
Tony

Back