hard lemonaid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramman

Reaction score
i maid some hard lemon aid similar to a recipe i found on here by searching

recipy is
2pounds malt
1 pound sugar
5 gallons of lemonaid concentrate

and it recommended champaign yeast.

the starting gravity wat 1.070 and it has been in primary for about 5 days and my hydrometer is still reading the same maybe even slightly more. i know its had activity here was a slight foam on the top and disappeared today sooo yeah any one know if its perhaps the c02 from the champaign yeast throwing off my hydrometer and how i could get a good reading?

yeah i had stirred it pretty well and mixing and pouring a half a gallon of concentrate into the carboy at a time i would think mixed it pretty well.

When taking hydrometer readings, always de-gas the sample-- stir it vigorously until there is no more foam. Also, be sure to correct for the sample's temperature.

There is a thread about hard Lemonade floating around here where a few people had a lot of trouble getting the Fermentation going.

Yes, hard lemonade can be a real tough ferment to get going, due to the high acidity level. I'll see if I can find the specific thread I had from a year or more ago talking about how to get it going.

Check your lemonade container- what are the ingredients listed? If one of the ingredients is potassium sorbate, or just sorbate, it won't ferment. That's a preservative. Frozen canned lemonade tends to not have that.

We make this stuff (made a batch yesterday as a matter of fact)and it takes a long time to get going and a long time to finish.Also it should ferment on the warmer side(70?).Walk away for a month and take a reading then.
Cheers:mug:

Back