Opinions needed: yeast bank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoHotel

Reaction score
I want to start limiting the yeast I have in my freezer. What are 5 necessary Yeasts that would work for most brews? The HBT community never let's me down, so lets hear some opinions.

Here's what I currently have:
Munich lager wy2308
Cali ale wlp001
Danstar Munich wheat ale
Danstar Nottingham ale
Irish ale yeast wlp004

How can I improve?

I keep:
Cali ale
wyeast british II 1335
belgain wheat wyeast 3942
ameerican lager 2035 (probably going to replace with bohemian lager)
I also have scottish ale wyeast 1728 but might switch out for one of the classic belgain strains as it is redundent with british/cali

I keep a few others around but these are what i use for 99% of what i brew.

A lot of it depends on what you brew.

chickens

I have the cali for my American ales. Like pales, ipa, etc. The Irish ale is for the Irish reds I love, the Danstar were from kits and they're dry. I've used em before with meh results. And the Munich lager is for the German style lagers that I'm into right now. Love me some oktoberfest, bock, and doppelbocks. The Munich Ale yeast is good for an American wheat, which my wife loves, but she's getting into the more traditional hefes. I'm thinking moving to a different wheat strain. Also thinking about an English ale strain for stouts and porters. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back