Smoked hops in beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alers22

Reaction score
Has anyone tried smoking hops and adding them either to the boil or dry hopping? A friend of mine is really into smoked meats and we got talking about smoked hops in beer. I've never heard of it being done. I'm not even sure what style of beer this type of hopping would pair well with. I believe we would want to cold smoke them?

Just looking for thoughts or feedback. I never said it was a good idea, just an idea lol

Thanks!!

Never heard of anything of this sort before, there are smoked malts that you can use to get a smokey beer, i.e. rauchbier

I'd smoke some 2 row instead. Or as an experiment, you could use some home-smoked 2 row in the base beer, then after primary, split the batch and dry-hop half with normal hops. Dry-hop the other half with cold-smoked hops.

We've experimented with smoking 2 row, and it does work. Came through pretty well actually.

Latest posts

Back