Historical Beer: Kentucky Common "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a friend who brewed this and it is conditioning in the bottle right now...too bad he lives over 1,000 miles away! Think this will be one of the next recipes I try. Added it to Beersmith and tweaked slightly....can't wait!!! :mug:

Revvy, can you comment at all on your choice of two row rather than six row? It seems to me that six row would be more historically accurate and would also help with all the adjuncts. I'm assuming you just stuck with two row because you already had some on hand or it was easier to get, but I wanted to double check to make sure there wasn't another reason.

Revvy, can you comment at all on your choice of two row rather than six row? It seems to me that six row would be more historically accurate and would also help with all the adjuncts. I'm assuming you just stuck with two row because you already had some on hand or it was easier to get, but I wanted to double check to make sure there wasn't another reason.

I used it because I have it in bulk. But yeah 6 row would probably be more historically accurate.

I brewed up a batch of this using BRY-97 yeast, and Mt. Hood hops.
I did have a monster stuck sparge when I brewed it.
The yeast took two weeks to bring the beer down to 1.006.
I really don't taste any of the rye.
All in all a pretty good beer. My wife and daughter enjoy it more then I do.
Thanks for the recipe.

This beer is a great hit with the family and friends that I have tried it. I will brew it again but may try a different yeast, rather than the Wyeast American Ale II (1272) yeast that I used for this batch. Someone suggested the WLP080 cream ale blend and I like that yeast so I will try it. Great recipe though Revvy. I think it tastes somewhat like a whiskey without the alcohol bite.

What would you think about adding grits to the mash in conduction to the maize? I live near a grain millery (?) and they have some great local grits that I have been trying to figure out how to use in beer. And i think this is a great start.

What do ya'll think?

What would you think about adding grits to the mash in conduction to the maize? I live near a grain millery (?) and they have some great local grits that I have been trying to figure out how to use in beer. And i think this is a great start.

What do ya'll think?

I would do either/or, not both....there's no point in it, and you'd be altering the recipe by adding more fermentables. If you want to go oldschool and use grits, then you need to do a cereal mash with them to make them usable. We use flaked corn to skip that step. But there's nothing wrong with doing a cereal mash with grits...it's probably more traditional. Google "cereal mash with corn" for info...IIRC the first non add link that pops up is the one I used to learn how to do it.

Revvy,

I'm thinking of brewing a version of this up soon and read through the entire thread, but nowhere did I see the volumes of CO2 for this beer. I saw some things that hinted at a low level (2.0?) but was wondering what you shot for in your various versions.

And, here is the recipe I'm thinking of based on my 3.25 gallon stovetop setup (~85% efficiency) I made some substitutions and reductions based on the ingredients I have on hand and added ~3% Acidulated Malt to give just a touch of a sour twang to it for some complexity:

2.7 lbs 6-row (54%)
1.5 lbs flaked corn (30%)
0.5 lbs malted rye (10%)
2.4 oz Acidulated Malt (3%)
1.2 oz Midnight Wheat (1.5%)
1.2 oz Crystal 120 (1.5%)

Mash at ~149 for 60 min. (1.048 estimated OG)

Batch sparge to get about 4 gallons, pre-boil

4 AAU of a clean American bittering hop (Magnum?) for 60 min boil (~26 IBU)

Pitch 6g of rehydrated US-05 and ferment at 65 for 3 weeks (1.010 estimated FG/80% AA)

Bottle with table sugar (or turbinado) for ___ volumes of CO2 and condition for 3 weeks at room temp.

I may also pull off a gallon after 2 weeks and do a secondary on some bourbon-soaked oak chips for a week at cellar temps before bottling, just to see what that's like.

For this beer I just figured there was no thought given to carbing to style, it's a very simple beer for a simpler time, so I just went with a starndard 2-2.5 ish volumes of co2 range that is the average for most kits.

Only I primed with table sugar, since again I kept it simple.

Thanks, I'll probably aim for 2.5 for this one and then tweak from there, if necessary. If I do a bourbon/oaked version or portion, I might go down closer to 2.0 on that one.

I also found this article that suggests a high(er) carbonation level similar to a California Common (2.4 to 2.8) or Cream Ale (2.6 to 2.7) so again I think 2.5 is a good level to start.

And I almost always use regular sugar or turbinado for bottling, depending on what I have on hand, as I don't see the point in having extra sugars lying around. For certain styles I may use brown sugar (brown ales, pumpkin ale) or maple syrup (stouts, rauchbier, or my bourbon black ale) but that's a discussion for elsewhere.

My son and I brewed another 11 gallon batch of the rye Ky Common ale yesterday. Used the same recipe as before except substituted Papazian's Cry Havoc yeast for the American Ale II yeast that we used last time. Our OG was slightly high, 1.052 vs 1.048 as our efficiency was 75% instead of 70% as planned. Fermentation started within 12 hours and its rocking. Can't wait to get it kegged and carbed up. This beer is rapidly becoming a house favorite. Thanks again to Revvy for his work in bringing this recipe to our attention.

This definitely passed the test. One of the most flavorful and drinkable beers I've had in a while. I've decided that this will be one of two brews I'm gonna do for a friend's wedding in September. Thanks, Revvy!

Revvy, thanks for this recipe. I can't wait to give it a go. How do think this would work with a Cream Ale yeast?

Plan on brewing this one sometime this week, but I only have WL005 English Ale. TO anyone who has brewed this, would this fit the profile?

I'm interested in brewing this, but only have partial mashing capabilities at the moment.

If I replaced the 4.5# of 2-row with Pale Malt Extract, would that be a sin for this brew?

TIA!

I'm interested in brewing this, but only have partial mashing capabilities at the moment.

If I replaced the 4.5# of 2-row with Pale Malt Extract, would that be a sin for this brew?

TIA!

It won't work. The corn and rye can't be steeped, they need to be mashed. Your best bet would probably be to do a mini mash with 1.5 pounds six row (for the extra enzymes), and the corn, black patent, and crystal. Then make up the rest of your gravity with 2 pounds rye extract plus as much pale extract as it takes to cover the remainder of the gravity points.

It won't work. The corn and rye can't be steeped, they need to be mashed. Your best bet would probably be to do a mini mash with 1.5 pounds six row (for the extra enzymes), and the corn, black patent, and crystal. Then make up the rest of your gravity with 2 pounds rye extract plus as much pale extract as it takes to cover the remainder of the gravity points.

Thanks!

I'm brewing this on Saturday. I've never used flaked corn or Rye before. I took a look at the recipe this was based on and it mentions a 90 minute mash. Is that the case here, or is this a 60 minute mash?

This is my first try at this recipe. I have a few yeast choices here. Maybe someone has had good/bad experiences with any of these? I'm going to get a starter going tonight.

I have Rogue PacMan, San Diego Super Yeast, Notty, Wyeast English Ale, Wyeast Irish Ale, and SF Lager yeast.

I'm leaning towards the PacMan at this point.

Any input?

b-boy said:
Pacman it is. I love Pacman so I'm anticipating good things.

I made my first batch of this last summer using pacman. I made 20 gallons of it for my brothers wedding that was on a farm in Kentucky. Everyone loved it. I am making another batch of it this weekend for a brew festival in Maryland where it will be given out, along with 20 other homebrews, for sampling.

jdub44 said:
I made my first batch of this last summer using pacman. I made 20 gallons of it for my brothers wedding that was on a farm in Kentucky. Everyone loved it. I am making another batch of it this weekend for a brew festival in Maryland where it will be given out, along with 20 other homebrews, for sampling.

I forgot to mention that I am also going to substitute midnight wheat for the black patent on this batch.

I think you all need to send me samples of your "experiments" with my recipe. Especially since my last batch turned out like crap, and I'll probably dump the keg soon, since it has that "stone fruit" flavor that you sometimes get with us-o5

I'm finally brewing up a 3 gallon version of this on Saturday:

2lb 11oz 6-row (53.75%)
1lb 8oz flaked corn (30%)
8oz malted rye (10%)
2.5oz Acidulated Malt (3.125%)
1.25oz Midnight Wheat (1.5625%)
1.25oz UK Crystal 120 (1.5625%)

Estimated stats:

1.048 OG
1.010 FG
5% ABV
11 SRM
26 IBU (4 AAU Cluster @ 60 min)

Fermented @ 65ºF with WLP080 Cream Ale blend

Hoping that the rye and acidulated malt get a hint of tanginess in the beer without it being fully sour (I read somewhere that ~3% acid malt provides a noticeable yet understated tang, but I can't remember where) for a refreshing summer brew.

I will report back with results some time in May!

That was a crappy brew session!

I missed my normal efficiency and only ended up at 1.040, plus I misread the package of hops and used too many, so ended up with 32 IBU instead of 26.

Since this is probably too light and bitter, and I used the white labs cream ale blend, I think I'm going to lager it for a month or so after a few weeks in primary and see how it turns out. Hoping that will give me a light, crisp, dry, tangy beer and reduce some of that bitterness.

EDIT: Turns out SWMBO is working all day Saturday, and it's going to be cold and rainy here (I brew indoors), so I'm planning to re-brew this and try to actually hit my numbers this weekend. The full plan is to transfer the original brew to secondary and scoop out a 1/4 cup of yeast slurry to pitch into the new brew. Ferment the new brew (and continue conditioning the original brew) at 65ºF for 2 weeks, then drop the temp to 35. Leave the new brew in for 1 week to clear, and the original will stay in for 4 more weeks to lager. The original is shaping up to be some sort of light American-Alt, based on color, IBU, and hybrid nature.

My son and I brewed another 11 gallon batch of the rye Ky Common ale yesterday. Used the same recipe as before except substituted Papazian's Cry Havoc yeast for the American Ale II yeast that we used last time. Our OG was slightly high, 1.052 vs 1.048 as our efficiency was 75% instead of 70% as planned. Fermentation started within 12 hours and its rocking. Can't wait to get it kegged and carbed up. This beer is rapidly becoming a house favorite. Thanks again to Revvy for his work in bringing this recipe to our attention.

Well, just tasted this version of the beer and it is great!! Just the right note of spicy from the rye, light from the corn, and still reminiscent of a sour mash whiskey. Will brew this one again. The Cry Havoc yeast works well with this beer.:ban:

What temp did you ferment the cry havoc at?

I fermented at 63F for two weeks in primary and 63F for two weeks in secondary. I did a secondary fermentation this time because I needed my 6.5 gallon fermenters for another batch of beer.:rockin:

I have not had good luck with this beer, though the second version went decidedly smoother than the first. This time my gravity was 1.046, a bit short of the 1.048 I was looking for, but I ended up with almost 3.5 gallons rather than 3.25.

I think I didn't properly account for the fact that I was only using 5lbs of grain, instead of the 6 I've been using with this setup, and used too much water. In the future I'll have to cut back the water by a bit or boil a little longer to get the volume down.

Then, it took almost 36 hours for my fermentation to get going even though I pitched about 1/3 a cup of slurry from the first batch, and the Mr. Malty calculator said I would need less than 1/4 cup.

Fermentation went well after that, however, and I will let this version condition a few more weeks at 65 and then cold crash/lager for a week at 35 before bottling. The first version will spend about 4 weeks at 65 and another 4 weeks at 35 before being bottled.

I had great success with this beer. Hit my OG dead on but FG was 1.011. Used US-05.

I plan on doing this again and upping the Rye a tiny bit more and maybe a different yeast. This beer is perfect for the 5th season of weather we get up here in Vermont, Mud season, where you still want a dark(ish) beer but you want something lighter than a stout/porter.

Just poured a glass.

IMGP2796.jpg

Back