First Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnythering

Reaction score
Recently, I have become obsessed with cider. I decided, after much deliberation, that this is how I am going to make my first batch:

5 Gallons TreeTop Cider (already purchased)
Apple%20Cider,%2064%20oz754b1de8-b4f2-4faf-bf6d-8738b3bfbf84.jpg

2 Cans Frozen Apple Juice Concentrate

White Labs WLP775 English Cider Yeast

2 weeks in primary at 70F
1 month secondary at 70F

Rack to keg, force carb.

I am open to suggestions.

I have nothing! Only because that's exactly what I do. I put 3 cans of concentrate into 5 gallons though. Usually puts me just over 1.06 using Treetop. Cheers.

Three cans it is then. :rockin:

I was planning on using a bucket primary and better bottle secondary. Any issues with that? I wouldn't think so but I want to be on the safe side.

Oh, no starter either. Just pour straight into the bucket and pitch right on top. Everything all at once.

It's been in primary for almost two weeks now. I'm wondering if I can treat it like my beer and keg it up after two weeks in secondary. Any issues with that? I would love to have this on tap by the beginning of March. Or better yet, just leave it in primary for an extra week and keg it straight from there for a total of three weeks in primary with no secondary. This is my first cider and I haven't done nearly as much reading as I probably should have, please bear with me.

If this wouldn't work, then I'm going to transfer it to my Better Bottle on Friday and leave it there for a month.

It's been in primary for almost two weeks now. I'm wondering if I can treat it like my beer and keg it up after two weeks in secondary. Any issues with that? I would love to have this on tap by the beginning of March. Or better yet, just leave it in primary for an extra week and keg it straight from there for a total of three weeks in primary with no secondary. This is my first cider and I haven't done nearly as much reading as I probably should have, please bear with me.

If this wouldn't work, then I'm going to transfer it to my Better Bottle on Friday and leave it there for a month.

Keg it up, I've made many a cider in single stage 2 weeks fermented dry.

Kegged this up on Tuesday, force carbed at 30 psi for a day and a half, purged and served. This is DELICIOUS. Had some yeasty floaties at first but totally clear now. I didn't take an initial gravity reading, but the final was at 1.011. It's still slightly sweet, pretty tart, dry, and tasty. Definitely sneaks up on you. I don't see this keg lasting long!

If you are interested in trying different things out, try using some other yeasts. I've had great success with Safale 05 and I'm about to try out Nottingham on my next batch. Good luck homie. The quick turnaround is awesome.

Back