Liquid yeast stored room temp for 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathy2472

Reaction score
Made two batches yesterday. Followed direction, sanitized, took readings. It all seemed good last night. This morning one batch had airlock action. Used a dry yeast as per recipe /kit. Second batch no airlock activity used liquid yeast and was looking for some help. With liquid yeast.. Cherry wheat batch.

When I started searching threads learned hydrometer is the key reading not the airlock key and lag time of liquid yeast can be up to 72 hours..all seemed okay until I read liquid yeast is supposed to be stored in refrigerator. I had instead stored it in original box wrapped in Christmas wrapping paper. For about three weeks.

Question is should I wait 72 hours and do a gravity reading, or should I assume yeast is no good and add more now.

Also if I should add yeast now is dry yeast okay recipe called for liquid yeast. I have one dry yeast from another kit I haven't made. can I can go tomorrow to local brew shop and get another liquid if that is better. I also read about starters. So I would go that way next time.

I guess we learn a lot through our mistakes. Thanks for your help

1. I'd wait the 72 hours as you suggested and take a gravity reading. As long as the yeast wasn't up over 90 degrees, it should be fine. It will just take a little longer to wake up.

2. Yes, if you repitich, then dry yeast is a perfectly fine option.

3. This isn't that big of a mistake. I'm willing to bet that it turns out just fine.

RDWHAHB

If you're going to add more yeast I would vote for adding the same yeast strain that you originally pitched. I've heard some yeast strains don't get along.

ALL yeast should be stored at least at fridge temps. Liquid yeast should be only in the fridge. Dry yeast can also go into the freezer (for longer term storage) without any special treatment. IF you want to freeze liquid yeast you need to use an anti-freezing agent (glycerine typically) in the mix in order to prevent cell damage (from the ice crystals).

I would also wait the full 72 hours from pitching before declaring the yeast dead. Depending on the temperatures they were exposed to, there could have been enough left in the packet to get going. You could just be looking at a longer lag phase. When it gets closer to the 72 hour mark, look at the surface of the wort/beer. IF you see tiny bubbles on the surface (you might need to use a flashlight on an angle) then leave it alone (the yeast are working already).

If you're going to be using liquid yeast in the future, learn about proofing the yeast packs and making starters. While any starter is better than no starter, making a properly sized starter (or two/three steps) can allow you to use a single pack and get the cell count you need for a lot of different OG batches. You can also use starters to get more yeast for old packages of yeast. There's actually an entire book devoted to the subject of yeast. IMO, it belongs in EVERY brewer's library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, it started last night somewhere around 40 hours. Also thanks for the tip that all yeast needs to be in fridge as I have another with dry yeast in it as well. Will definitely look into starters next time. Can't wait to taste the first batch. Already have next few recipes lined up.

Back