need suggestions fpr using oak in Christmas ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schroeder

Reaction score
I have just racked my Xmas ale over into secondary and have given it a little taste.
I started with a scotch ale recipe, targeting about 1.74 O.G. by adding sucrose and brown sugar (approx 7.5% ABV). I have spiced with 1oz. of curacau orange peel, 1oz. of crushed corriander seed (15 min boil), 3 to 5 g. each or cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger (all ground) for 10 min boil.

I have given it a taste and the result seems pretty good so far. The spice flavours are a nice background with nothing really coming out dominant. A couple more weeks of conditioning and a bit of acidity from carbonation will probably bring it together, but I think it needs something...

I was thinking of adding some whiskey or bourbon and oak chips but I don't want it to be a dominant flavour. I have not used these additives before in my beer so I'm at a loss as to how much to use.

30 litre batch.

Recommendations?

I'm thinking 1 oz.of raw oak chips, toasted lightly to impart a slight vanilla note, then soak in 4 to 6 oz. of bourbon or a peaty scotch. Put the chips in a hop sock and toss into my corny kegs with the spirits, and taste after 3 to 5 days.

Back