My beer smells sulfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Hi there I need info on a situation that I have... I made a coopers canadian blond beer with 500g of dextrose "corn sugar" and 700 of DME I added ameican ale II yeast to the wort, left it at a stable 64 degrees temp for 21 days

OG was 1.044 and FG was 1.012 resulting in a 4.2 % beer

She smells sulfer is this normal ? Is it infected ? It's been in the keg for only a few days but when I sampled a small glass a few mins ago it smelled eggs I guess

Hi there I need info on a situation that I have... I made a coopers canadian blond beer with 500g of dextrose "corn sugar" and 700 of DME I added ameican ale II yeast to the wort, left it at a stable 64 degrees temp for 21 days

OG was 1.044 and FG was 1.012 resulting in a 4.2 % beer

She smells sulfer is this normal ? Is it infected ? It's been in the keg for only a few days but when I sampled a small glass a few mins ago it smelled eggs I guess

It's not abnormal for yeast to produce H2S. Most strains will produce it at lower temps (64 is somewhat low - but fine if you were looking to limit esters). So it's not necessarily a sign of infection. Normally the sulfur smell will be driven off with the release of CO2, but can take some time. I would think that at 21 days it would be mostly gone, but maybe some traces left. If it's closed up in a pressurized keg it won't be able to drive off the sulfur as easily and might a take a while to do so. Are you sure it's eggs, and not cooked corn (DMS)?

Hex23 said:
It's not abnormal for yeast to produce H2S. Most strains will produce it at lower temps (64 is somewhat low - but fine if you were looking to limit esters). So it's not necessarily a sign of infection. Normally the sulfur smell will be driven off with the release of CO2, but can take some time. I would think that at 21 days it would be mostly gone, but maybe some traces left. If it's closed up in a pressurized keg it won't be able to drive off the sulfur as easily and might a take a while to do so. Are you sure it's eggs, and not cooked corn (DMS)?

It's not DMS, my last beer had that and I think it's sulfer and not DMS, I'm a little discuraged at the moment... I have trouble making a good beer that can be served to guests :( If it's not DMS then it's H2S... Anyhow I guess i'll just live with it...

It will go away. Just give it another week or so, maybe purge the keg a few times.

45_70sharps said:
Yep, I would let it sit.
At this point what else can you do.

Well, you could drink it all in a couple days, all the while convincing yourself that you made crap beer.. It happens.

bottlebomber said:
Well, you could drink it all in a couple days, all the while convincing yourself that you made crap beer.. It happens.

Lol thanks guys, i'll let her sit... Purge my keg once a day ...

On another note, in the keg right beside this sulfer beer is a mint chocolate stout, I have trouble getting gas into it... It has been one week and 4 days now and still vert low on gas...

I dry hopped loose mint leefs stright on top of the keg then smacked her on gass... I have one ounce exactly... Could it be that the leavs take all the space on top of the stout beer and in concequence the beer is not absorbing Co2 ??

I know it seems far stretched but maby that is why I can't get it gassed... The co2 stayes between the cover and the leavs, it doesn't touch the beer...

Lol thanks guys, i'll let her sit... Purge my keg once a day ...

On another note, in the keg right beside this sulfer beer is a mint chocolate stout, I have trouble getting gas into it... It has been one week and 4 days now and still vert low on gas...

I dry hopped loose mint leefs stright on top of the keg then smacked her on gass... I have one ounce exactly... Could it be that the leavs take all the space on top of the stout beer and in concequence the beer is not absorbing Co2 ??

I know it seems far stretched but maby that is why I can't get it gassed... The co2 stayes between the cover and the leavs, it doesn't touch the beer...

You didn't bag the leaves, just tossed them in there? It sounds like a clogged tube.

jesseroberge said:
Lol thanks guys, i'll let her sit... Purge my keg once a day ..

Don't feel bad at all. I've seen lots of brew pubs do this too apparently in a rush to serve.

I don't think your idea is far fetched at all. Surface area contact is very important. If you want you could try putting the gas line on the serving side and bubble some CO2 from the bottom. Might need to purge every so often to make it effective.

Back