GF spiced holiday beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for exactly the same thing so if you come across something, please post.

I am currently doing a spiced caramel/hopped cider for winter. I guess you could try it as a beer by exchanging the apple juice for a GF malt base? I just added cinnamon and nutmeg into some sugar water to make a caramel. I am then using this to get it started.

Also trying it with a mead too. Instead of sugar in the water I used honey. Not sure if you want to use those as bases and adjust it slightly? I think that is what I will be using to make a spiced beer next week. I am using Saaz hops as I have read they can be a bit spicy.

I've used a bit of Saaz although I never found them spicy. Earthy for sure, but not spicy. IMHO.

I've had mixed results with saaz. I used U.S. saaz from my LHBS in my chamomile cream ale and got some real nice spice notes, almost cinnamon-like, but when I used some Czech saaz in my first genmai blonde, I did not get any of that spicy character. I think that brewing with sweet potato (which I used in the chamomile ale but not in the genmai) helped bring out the spice character. Also worth noting is that I added the saaz at 15 minutes in the chamomile, whereas in the genmai I used them at three different additions. I think a 15 minute addition seems to be a sweet spot for them, on top of a neutral bittering hop like Magnum or Millenium or even something like Cascade.

Really? Strange how these things work out. :) These are Czech Saaz. Think I would have to look around a little to get American Saaz. I have been mostly using cascade and goldings. I wanted to try something new.

I boiled them for about 15/20 minutes separately from the bases, then added them to the mix. They seem to be working a little bit, but I guess I will find out in about a month or so. I did however, put cascade in with the Saaz in the mead. Only for about 5/10 minutes. I am hoping for something slightly different with it.

I guess if they are not really coming through on the beers that these guys want straight away, you could always dry hop them with another for a week or so?

Back