Boston Brewer Brews a Batch of Brown...Boy oh Boy (with pics!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brewer

Reaction score
First off, thanks to everyone who has answered my questions over the last couple of weeks. People here are very helpful and always willing and eager to help newcomers. I appreciate that.

So, my first brew day (evening really... )

Things I had done prior to Brew Day

On everyone's recommendation, I purchased a copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew". As advertised, this is an extraordinarily helpful text. I also had ordered from Austin Homebrew an American Brown Ale extract kit. Last but not least, I feel like I did a ton of reading here.

Brew Day

My limited understanding of homebrewing is that the most important thing to do while homebrewing is to have a homebrew. I don't have any homebrew, but I do have a nice London Porter (in a Harpoon Brown glass ).

1819155407_3b18027ca1.jpg

The first thing I did was to heat some bottled water and to drop in the yeast (Windsor Ale dry yeast). I let the yeast sit and then after 15 minutes, gave it a good stir.

1819158361_f496006ee5.jpg

That seemed to go ok. I next proceeded to bring 2.5 gallons of water to approximately 155-160 degrees. At a measurement of 158, I killed the flame and begin to steep the grains that were included with the kit.

1820004226_9e5d5d938c.jpg

After 15 minutes of steeping (as indicated in the instructions), the temp was down to 148. I was under the impression that below 150, you don't get much, but hopefully it wasn't below 150 for too long.

I took out the grains and bought the water to a boil. I killed the flame again and added the LME as well as some malto dextrin and other additives (again, from the kit). After doing my best to make sure that everything was adequately mixed and that there would be no scalding or burning of sediment, I brought the kettle back to a boil.

Upon reaching a boil, I added 2/3 of an oz. of Cascade and set the hour timer. At this point, I started to make sure that everything was sanitized. I dumped everything I thought I would need for primary fermentation into the primary.

1819153469_e1b73d0028.jpg

One thing was strange is that the bubbles from the StarSan subsided pretty quickly. I used the recommended 1 oz. per 5 gallons. Don't know whether this is normal or not. Help answering that question would be appreciated.

1819195919_6a8ecdd111.jpg

I realized that just keeping everything in the primary but leaving the primary open probably wasn't the greatest idea. I took everything out of the StarSan solution and placed it in some plastic wrap on the table and then closed the primary with some plastic wrap as well. Anal, perhaps, but hopefully it worked.

1820016982_9e516fae19.jpg

Meanwhile, the brew was bubbling along. I wasn't able to get a "huge" boil going, but it definitely seemed like it was "rolling". It certainly was bubbling. I assume that what appears below is the "hot break".

1820031452_3e230001ce.jpg

With approximately ten minutes left on the hour, I added another 1/3 oz of Cascade. At the hour, I killed the flame and immediately moved the kettle to an ice bath.

1819214583_67b666ea55.jpg

I didn't buy enough ice (only two packages) and so wasn't able to get to 80 in the recommended 15-20 minutes. It took me a little over a half hour. I did everything I could to make sure that the wort was sanitary during that time - kettle was covered, thermometer and spoon were re-sprayed with StarSan each and every time prior to be dipped in the wort, etc.

Finally, I strained the cooled wort into the primary and topped off with water until I was at approximately 5 gallons. I stirred until I thought things were sufficiently aerated.

1819201201_1b8afa275f.jpg

At that point, I took a sample with my thief. The gravity reading was approximately 1.50. With the adjustment for temperature (temperature of the sample was approximately 72), that comes out to roughly 1.051. The kit says that the gravity should be approximately 1.046 - ugh. Hope that isn't off by too much. Perhaps I simply didn't fully top off to 5.25 gallons, making the wort a bit more concentrated?

Anyway, sealed up and placed in a room with an ambient temperature of 67 degrees. The thermometer on the side still says its about 72-74, which seems high. Hopefully that isn't a problem.

Problems and Things to Work on

I definitely need to go with a propane cooker. My gas stovetop took "ages" to get the brewpot to a boil...ages.

I definitely need to make sure that I have sufficient amounts of ice on hand. Two packages ain't gonna get it done.

I was definitely cautious about cleanliness, but I think I need to be careful with the StarSan in the sptaybottle. I think I mixed it a little strong. Whenever it would mist and blow back into my face, I definitely got a taste of chemical. I hope that doesn't affect the brew in any way.

I definitely need to have homebrew for my next brewday... :D

Let's hope all goes well!

Wow- it looks like a successful brewday! I haven't used Star-san so I can't comment on that, except to say to make sure you don't spray it near your face anymore! When I make wine, I use sulfite and I got a big whiff of that once while spraying and I swear I burnt the inside of my nose!

I don't cover my sanitized items with plastic wrap, just put them on a sanitized piece of wax paper on the counter, however, you did ok by being so careful. It looks like you're going to have some great beer.

Looks like you did a great job to me. Your fermentation temps seem fine, i would not worry about that. I ferment my ales in an ambient 67-68 all the time and have no problems with esters. Also, your steeping temps were fine. Dropping below 150 for a short period of time with steeping grains is no problem whatsoever. You should have a great brew in about 6 weeks.

Great job Boston Brewer! I can't answer the Star San question either and I agree with cubbie on the steeping. You are now a homebrewer! and thanks for the pics! Watch out now, your free time will be spent researching more information on beer and brewing. Also I think you did a great job on the sanitation. To aid in cooling, you might want to invest in an immersion chiller...

Thanks for the feedback!

As of this morning, the airlock was bubbling and bubbling hard...that sounds good. Also, the thermometer on the side of the primary fermenter has come down to 68-70, which makes me a lot happier.

I'll keep you updated!

P.S. - One question...is it problematic that recommented OG was 1.046 and I was at 1.051?

Boston Brewer said:
P.S. - One question...is it problematic that recommented OG was 1.046 and I was at 1.051?

This will increase the alcohol by volume (ABV) in the beer. 5 pts isn't worth worrying for the first time. At least you measured it. I forgot on my first brew to even take an initial reading! The increased OG will raise the ABV by 0.66.

Just an update (and a question). Brew day was one week ago and I have left the primary untouched until now. I intend to take a gravity reading on Saturday, and then on Sunday, with hopes of moving things to a secondary for two weeks of clarification.

Question - the room in which I have stored my gear is pretty chilly. The temperature reading on the side of the primary has been hovering between 64 and 66 degrees. I believe Windsor Ale recommended a bottom range of 65.

I assume that, provided I get my target gravity reading this weekend, there should be no problem?

Has anyone worked with Windsor Ale and can give me some feedback on fermentation at this temperature range?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

I've used Windsor a few times. It'll be fine at that temperature. You might notice that it's a little less "fruity" at a cool temperature like that, but that will be ok.

Just a brief update. Its been in primary for 8 days now. I took a sample and it came out to 1.018, down from a starting gravity of 1.051. That seems a little slow to me, but temperature has been on the cool side. I figure I'll take another reading on Sunday and see where things stand.

On the upside, I tasted the sample and it tasted pretty good...no off-flavors or anything. One note, however...there do appear to be clumps of something (almost like spent hop pellet residue) at the top of the barrel. There were really no off-flavors so I didn't worry too much. Right call?

Boston Brewer said:
Just a brief update. Its been in primary for 8 days now. I took a sample and it came out to 1.018, down from a starting gravity of 1.051. That seems a little slow to me, but temperature has been on the cool side. I figure I'll take another reading on Sunday and see where things stand.

On the upside, I tasted the sample and it tasted pretty good...no off-flavors or anything. One note, however...there do appear to be clumps of something (almost like spent hop pellet residue) at the top of the barrel. There were really no off-flavors so I didn't worry too much. Right call?

I wouldn't worry about anything. From reading your initial post, it seems you already have a great grasp for the techniques involved in this hobby. Even making my 6th brew tomorrow, I don't think I am as sanitary as you seem to be.

The residue on the top is probably a little remaining krausen, which is formed by the yeast when they are in the process of fermentation. It's just coagulated proteins, and probably some hop pellet residue. Nothing at all to worry about.

Are you planning to secondary? Once your gravity readings are stagnant for around 3 days or so (always take readings, don't rely on airlock activity) you can transfer to the secondary clearing. At this point, 2 weeks in there should lead to everything else falling out of solution to the bottom. Then, when you go to bottle/keg, you can simply stop your siphon right above this matter, called the "trub." There will still be yeast in suspension that you don't see that will carbonate it just fine.

PseudoChef said:
I wouldn't worry about anything. From reading your initial post, it seems you already have a great grasp for the techniques involved in this hobby. Even making my 6th brew tomorrow, I don't think I am as sanitary as you seem to be.

The residue on the top is probably a little remaining krausen, which is formed by the yeast when they are in the process of fermentation. It's just coagulated proteins, and probably some hop pellet residue. Nothing at all to worry about.

Are you planning to secondary? Once your gravity readings are stagnant for around 3 days or so (always take readings, don't rely on airlock activity) you can transfer to the secondary clearing. At this point, 2 weeks in there should lead to everything else falling out of solution to the bottom. Then, when you go to bottle/keg, you can simply stop your siphon right above this matter, called the "trub." There will still be yeast in suspension that you don't see that will carbonate it just fine.

Yeah...definitely going to secondary. Final gravity per the recipe should be around 1.010 and I am still at 1.018, which is a little high (it seems to me). It seems like 8 days in primary should have been enough to get it down that far, but maybe I just need to be a bit more patient and wait things out...

great work boston brewer!!! so much fun documenting your work w/ photos....i did the same on my cooking day as i relaxed w/ a (non) home brew...haha...sounds like we're just about on the same timing as my first batch will be 2 weeks old on sunday....i stuck w/ the 1-2-3 rule as i switch to the secondary last sunday....readings went from 1.050 to 1.016 (for a chinook IPA) when i transfered...process was slightly overwhelming doing things for the first time and all

cooling was a learning process for me as well....i'm planning on starting a second batch tomorrow afternoon....full boil this time.....first thing in the morning i'm going to build myself an immersion chiller (quite a few threads about) to simplify (and speed up) that process

i used liquid extract, and the number one thing i'll do next time is heat that sucker up b/c it sure does pour slow!!!

:mug:

Mots said:
great work boston brewer!!! so much fun documenting your work w/ photos....i did the same on my cooking day as i relaxed w/ a (non) home brew...haha...sounds like we're just about on the same timing as my first batch will be 2 weeks old on sunday....i stuck w/ the 1-2-3 rule as i switch to the secondary last sunday....readings went from 1.050 to 1.016 (for a chinook IPA) when i transfered...process was slightly overwhelming doing things for the first time and all

cooling was a learning process for me as well....i'm planning on starting a second batch tomorrow afternoon....full boil this time.....first thing in the morning i'm going to build myself an immersion chiller (quite a few threads about) to simplify (and speed up) that process

i used liquid extract, and the number one thing i'll do next time is heat that sucker up b/c it sure does pour slow!!!

:mug:

Awesome. Thanks for your comments. A Chinook IPA sounds pretty tasty. If I'm not mistaken, Chinook should impart a bit of a "pine" test...sounds perfect for Seattle!

My kit was from AHS and the liquid extract came in a bucket-type contraction. I ran that under some warm water, which seemed to make the LME pour a bit easier.

You're gonna be psyched to have that chiller. So what are you planning for your second batch? My buddy and I are planning an oatmeal stout from the book "Beer Captured" (Ipswich Oatmeal Stout). I imagine it won't really be ready in time for X-mas, but I'm sure there will be plenty of cold days here in Boston where a nice stout by the fireplace will do the trick... :D

the chinook called for an oz. of dry hops too....should be tasty (unless i made some unknown mistake!!)

2nd batch is going to be the st. paul porter from northern brewer....some type of stout after that and undecided on no. 4.....timing wise, i need to pick up another secondary as i hope to have 4 batches done for a big ski trip at the end of january...going to be tight

the AHS site looks great....had seen the acronym many times, but never actually went to the site

Back