American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made this beer a few times but most recently cut the DME back to 6 lbs to make it more sessionable for these summer nights. I think I prefer it a little lighter in the ABV.

I need to make this one again. I have brewed several beers since doing this one and none of them have been as good.

I've been brewing something close to this for the past 5 or 6 years as my "house ale". Been using Pilsner instead of Pale and Palisades instead of Amarillo. Have to give this one a shot this weekend and compare.

Finally had a chance to taste the original while I was in Grove City, PA.

Wow.

Even the wife, definitely not a hophead, wants to try more of it... Thanks Yooper et al, I know what I'm fermenting this time around.

Thanks, Yooper! Just cracked a couple bottles of this recipe tonight (first AG) and it is excellent!

Finally had a chance to taste the original while I was in Grove City, PA.

Wow.

Even the wife, definitely not a hophead, wants to try more of it... Thanks Yooper et al, I know what I'm fermenting this time around.

:off: Did you hit up North Country Brewery in Slippery Rock? I hope so, that place rocks and you were only 7 miles north of it!

just bottled the extract version of this recipe today. OG of 1.080, 10 days in primary, 7 days in secondary dry hopping, and an FG of 1.021. The FG seemed a little high to me but i've never brewed a bigger beer before. Does the FG sound ok or do I need to be watchful of bombs?

The FG is definitely high. It's hard to say if you can only expect higher carbonation or if you might have bottle bombs. You should have left it in the primary until you hit the FG. Never rack to the secondary without taking gravity readings.

:off: Did you hit up North Country Brewery in Slippery Rock? I hope so, that place rocks and you were only 7 miles north of it!

:off:

I had never even heard of it :(

I was prolly even in the area, and my friends in the car "owed" me a side trip... ah, well, next time.

Based on what my LHBS has for hops, I'm thinking of modify to this:

9.5 lbs Golden Light Liquid Extract
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

1.29 oz Nugget - 14.5% (60 min)
1.3 oz Cascade (35 min)
1.4 oz Northern Brewer (30 min)
1.3 oz Cascade (dry hop)
.7 Norther Brewer (dry hop)

What do you think? Also, I have a 5 gallon carboy, should I cut the recipe down to 4 gallons or go with a spill over tube?

If you don't cut it down (I wouldn't), definitely go with the blowoff tube. I'm doing my second batch of this and it's on day two with krausen filling the bowl of my blowoff. Oh yeah, I'm using a repitched yeast cake of Wyeast 1056 and a 6.7gal fermentor!

Blow off tube is always a hood idea. Cheap and easy. Made a 5 gallon batch in 6.5 gallon batch and stuff has been pouring out my tube for a couple days.

Based on what my LHBS has for hops, I'm thinking of modify to this:

9.5 lbs Golden Light Liquid Extract
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

1.29 oz Nugget - 14.5% (60 min)
1.3 oz Cascade (35 min)
1.4 oz Northern Brewer (30 min)
1.3 oz Cascade (dry hop)
.7 Norther Brewer (dry hop)

What do you think? Also, I have a 5 gallon carboy, should I cut the recipe down to 4 gallons or go with a spill over tube?

Get all of your IBUs at the 60 minute addition and then focus on flavor/aroma additions from 20 minutes - flameout. With yours, you will have a lot of bitterness but not a lot of hop flavor.

That's the "bad" thing about this recipe. It's really quaffable. But at 7.25+% ABV, it's really not a very good session beer!

My goal lately has been to take the same basic recipe, and turn it into a great 5-6% beer. It wouldn't really be a "clone" anymore, but I'm doing it about once a month to see if I can still get the same flavor and aroma in less ABV. The latest version is 5.75%. It's dryhopping now, so I don't have a final taste yet.

How did your 5.75% version come out? I would think its actually closer to a clone since DFH 60min is 6%. Making next weekend and was trying to decide between your higher % to the lower % version.

How did your 5.75% version come out? I would think its actually closer to a clone since DFH 60min is 6%. Making next weekend and was trying to decide between your higher % to the lower % version.

OK. Not as great, as it lost much of the malt backbone. But it still was really good.

I'm still working on a way to make this really hoppy but lower ABV IPA and it's not as easy as it sounds!

Thanks for the quick reply Yooper. Think I'll just stick to the high ABV one then. If you ever get that lower one down let us know!

OK. Not as great, as it lost much of the malt backbone. But it still was really good.

I'm still working on a way to make this really hoppy but lower ABV IPA and it's not as easy as it sounds!

Thanks for the fast reply Yooper. Think I'll just stick with the higher % version then for my first go at this one, then work on lowering it. If you find one you like let me know and I'll do the same!
Thanks again

Anyone want to give me a hand with a few questions about a DFH 90 Minute clone?

The link is in my signature ↓↓↓ Thanks.

Pretty happy so far. Brewed the extract version last weekend and hit the OG dead on. Checked it today and I am at 1.016 so I am very happy. The sample tasted very good, even the wife enjoyed it. However it was very cloudy, and I used Irish moss. Right now I am planning on leaving it in the primary another week, then to the secondary to dry hop for a weekish. Do you think that will clear it up? Or is there something else I should do? I am just starting out so I am lacking on equipment to cold crash and such.

Pretty happy so far. Brewed the extract version last weekend and hit the OG dead on. Checked it today and I am at 1.016 so I am very happy. The sample tasted very good, even the wife enjoyed it. However it was very cloudy, and I used Irish moss. Right now I am planning on leaving it in the primary another week, then to the secondary to dry hop for a weekish. Do you think that will clear it up? Or is there something else I should do? I am just starting out so I am lacking on equipment to cold crash and such.

Maybe! My beers tend to be pretty clear, but you may have a "hops haze" with some IPAs and then they don't really clear very well. Maybe you just have a ton of yeast still in suspension, which will clear well with some time. Some yeast strains, like S05, don't clear all that well quickly while some clear the beer very quickly (like s04). Time does do quite a lot for clarity, so it might clear up without any problem.

I just made this on the extract recipe right before Easter. Great beer. Unfortunately, I didn't mix my priming sugar well, so some bottles were either flat, or others were too sweet. Either way, the entire batch has now been drunk, and I want to try it again with a few tweaks.
Great recipe though. Thanks much! :mug:

I just started a 10 gallon batch of this BIAB style. 26+ lbs of grain dry weighs a heck of a lot more wet. This is the most amount of grain I've used in a recipe, at least that I can recall, and it was... cumbersome. Next time I'll have my ladder out, and I'll have stitched in a rope to hold the bag closed and give me something to lift from.

Otherwise, I'm very excited for this brew.

A ladder sounds like a good idea, I brewed extract version and turned out great.Keep us posted I'm slowly making the transition to all grain ( biab )

When I did the extract version, one thing I didn't do was hit the original gravity. I was quite a bit over (1.082). I made 2 liter yeast starter starting with a 1.040 wort and using the WYeast 1056 American Ale smackpack.

Now, I will admit that when we steeped the grains, we squeezed the hell out of the grain bag at the end to get out as much of the sugars as possible (at the time I didn't know the possible tannin problem of doing that :eek: ).

So, otherwise we followed the instructions in the extract version (substituted Columbus because that was all I could get). I then topped it off to 17 liters before adding the yeast starter (whole thing, didn't decant the yeast). Before I added the yeast starter it was around 1.090, then the yeast starter diluted it to 1.082. Do you think I went over because we squeezed the grain bag too much, or could it just be my brand of powdered malt extract, or am I missing some other calculation?

This was what we did:

Measure out:
- 28.3 g of Columbus hops
- 21.3 g of Amarillo hops
- 21.3 g of Simcoe hops
(then mix Amarillo and Simcoe together)
Steep crystal malt in 2.5 gallons (9.5 liters) of water
at 150F-155F (65C-68C - no higher than 75C) for 20 minutes.
"Sparge" with about 1 liter of hot water.
[also squeezed the hell out of the bag while "sparging"]
Bring to a boil (while bringing to a boil, measure out - 3.85 kg of DME

Remove from heat and stir in DME.
Add one more liter of hot water (use it to get all the DME out of the measuring bowl)
Return to burner and bring to a boil.
When at a boil set the timer to 60 minutes.
60min left (0 min started) Begin timer and add half the Columbus hops.
| Then add a few pellets every minute or so.
| (aim to add remaining few Columbus hop pellets at 35min left (25 min later)
35min left (25 min later) Add remaining Columbus hops
| Start adding mix of Amarillo and Simcoe a few pellets at a time
| (aim to add remaining few hops when timer hits 0 min left (60 min later)
15 min left (45 min later) add wort chiller to boil
|
0 min left (60 min later) Stop boil (add any remaining hop pellets right before flameout)
Chill wort rapidly to about 70F (20.0C).
Pour wort into fermenter through strainer.
Add bottled water to fill to 17 liters
Aerate wort with wisk for about a minute or two
Take gravity reading
Pitch yeast (starter)
Ferment for about 2 weeks at around 70F (21.1C) (ideally 15-22C) ie keep it cool!
After two weeks
Dryhop with the 1oz (28.3g) of Amarillo and 0.5oz (14.2g) of Simcoe (just throw in the hops into the primary)
Wait for about a 7-10 days
Bottle with 4 oz (113g) priming sugar.
Bottle condition for at least 3 weeks.

I downloaded his bsm file and opened in beersmith. The color says 5.2, but the actual beer he made, along with dfh 60 looks darker. Is it me or is beersmith off on the color calculation?

When I did the extract version, one thing I didn't do was hit the original gravity. I was quite a bit over (1.082). I made 2 liter yeast starter starting with a 1.040 wort and using the WYeast 1056 American Ale smackpack.

Now, I will admit that when we steeped the grains, we squeezed the hell out of the grain bag at the end to get out as much of the sugars as possible (at the time I didn't know the possible tannin problem of doing that :eek: ).

So, otherwise we followed the instructions in the extract version (substituted Columbus because that was all I could get). I then topped it off to 17 liters before adding the yeast starter (whole thing, didn't decant the yeast). Before I added the yeast starter it was around 1.090, then the yeast starter diluted it to 1.082. Do you think I went over because we squeezed the grain bag too much, or could it just be my brand of powdered malt extract, or am I missing some other calculation?

The assumption here is that you bring your volume to 17 liters allowing the 2 liter starter to bring your total volume to 5 gallons (19 liters), is that right?

I think the "problem" is that per the recipe those last two liters would be water (1.000) and not starter wort (1.040) which would lower the OG a bit more.

You can:

* Decant your yeast starter and only pitch the yeast
* Fill to 19L and then pitch the starter (bringing total volume to 21L)
* Enjoy your slightly increased alcohol content :mug:

I am happy to be corrected but I don't think you get much more dissolved sugars by squeezing the steeped grain bag, mostly starches.

This is a 5 star beer in my book. I brewed this last month and am down to a six pack. Amazing and packs a punch.

Brewing the extract recipe on Saturday.

Just want to be clear on when to add first and final hop additions to the boil. Did anyone use a specific hop schedule or just followed Yoopers directions to a tee?

If local HBS does not have Pacman is White Labs ok?

Brewing the extract recipe on Saturday.

Just want to be clear on when to add first and final hop additions to the boil. Did anyone use a specific hop schedule?

If local HBS does not have Pacman is White Labs ok?

I have been adding the bittering hops at 60 minutes, and then mixing up the simcoe and amarillo and continously hopping those in the last 30 minutes, ending at flame out. Lschiavo and I are making this on Saturday, and that's what we'll do. We're using magnum for bittering, since that's what we both have.

White labs yeast strains are fine- use WLP001 if they have it. Ferment it at 64-66 degrees if you can.

Latest posts

Back