Cascade, Centennial, and Williamette IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthBound

Reaction score
I'm thinking of using a quarter-pound of each: Cascade, Centennial, and Williamette.

I'm not sure exactly how to approach this...

I could mix them all equally.

I could mix Cascade and Centennial equally as bittering, and use Williamette as aroma.

I'm planning on continual-hopping.

What do YOU think?

I'd keep the cascade for the flavour/aroma but then that would be more mainstream IPA anyway.
I recently did an APA using all Willamette for a club brew and it was refreshingly different

Use the centennials for bittering, and then mix the WIllamette and Cascade for the flavor/aroma hop additions.

I made a Pils mixing all noble hops and continually adding them. It came incredible. I think you're onto something with this IPA. I would definitely use the Willamette as the aroma. Keep that separate from the cascade and centennial.

Use the centennials for bittering, and then mix the WIllamette and Cascade for the flavor/aroma hop additions.

I agree- I LOVE willamette and cascade together. Here's one of my hopping schedules (this one for an American amber):
1.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 27.9 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I decided to use the Cent. for bittering (first 30 mins), Will. for the flavor (next 30 mins), and Cascade for the aroma (last 30 minutes and dry hop).
I'll post on here how it comes out.

I think 1/4# of each is more than enough for a 10 gal batch, so I hope that's at least what you're doing. If not, that's gonna be a hop bomb, and at the very least fun to make.
I like to mix hops. Throw them all in a bowl and mix em up and then add your additions from the bowl. That's how I roll.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I decided to use the Cent. for bittering (first 30 mins), Will. for the flavor (next 30 mins), and Cascade for the aroma (last 30 minutes and dry hop).
I'll post on here how it comes out.

You're doing a 90 minute boil? I don't understand how willamette for flavor hops with more than 30 minutes would work. You want the flavor hops at 20 minutes (left in the boil) or less.

I'd definitely run the recipe through some brewing software and post it up here for critique if you're not experienced with formulating IPA recipes. It should like you could have a very bitter, unhoppy beer if I'm reading that right.

12 oz of hops for an ipa is perfectly great, with that many hops though, I would probably shoot for 1.070 or so...pushing DIPA or IIPA, 1.060 with malt and a pound of sugar probably.

13-14 pound two row
1/2 pound victory
1/2 pound C40
1 pound dextrose

.50 oz cent FWH
.50 oz casc FWH
.50 oz will FWH

.50 oz casc@60
.50 oz cent@60
.50 oz will @60

.50 oz casc@15
.50 oz cent@15
.50 oz will @15

.50 oz casc@10
.50 oz cent@10
.50 oz will @10

.50 oz casc@FO
.50 oz cent@FO
.50 oz will @FO

Dry hop with an ounce of each and call it good.

Another thing I would consider for hop schedule

4 oz will at 10
4 oz cent at 10
4 oz casc at 10

use the whole charge at 10 and see what happens...I bet it would be tasty

You're doing a 90 minute boil? I don't understand how willamette for flavor hops with more than 30 minutes would work. You want the flavor hops at 20 minutes (left in the boil) or less.

I'd definitely run the recipe through some brewing software and post it up here for critique if you're not experienced with formulating IPA recipes. It should like you could have a very bitter, unhoppy beer if I'm reading that right.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely start using beersmith soon to help me formulate IPA recipes. However, I like to try new things. "Tried and true" does not mean as much to me as it does to most homebrewers. Beer pioneer here, dear. :D

I'm using 14 oz. of hops for 12 gallons of beer, so it will be hoppy, for sure.

I equally distributed all the hops over the 90 minutes, which is something that I haven't done yet but always wanted to. It will not be a very bitter beer (it will be moderately bitter cuz of all the hops, of course) because I did not dump a lot in at first (I equally distributed it).

I'm excited to find out how that equal-distribution-thing works out. :)

12 oz of hops for an ipa is perfectly great, with that many hops though, I would probably shoot for 1.070 or so...pushing DIPA or IIPA, 1.060 with malt and a pound of sugar probably.

Why would the higher alcohol be more favorable?

use the whole charge at 10 and see what happens...I bet it would be tasty

You mean no hop additions except for the last 10 minutes of boil?! That's a crazy idea... that I'm willing to try. :)

Well, like you said, you want to experiment. Beer pioneer and all.

I would be willing to bet that your beer is BITTER, though you say it won't be. Remember than any hops added before about 25 minutes left in the boil would be bittering hops. So, only the hops you added in the last 20 minutes would be flavor and/or aroma hops.

The difference between 90 minutes of boiling hops and 60 minutes is negligible- most of the hops oils are isomerized in a 60 minute boil so you don't gain much in the way of additional bitterness in that 30 extra minutes. Maybe a tad. Like I said, you just did a recipe where you have about 10 ounces of hops for bitterness, so you'll have plenty of it!

I'm gonna have to take your word for it. Your word, I trust, cuz you have A LOT more experience.

It was only 8 oz. during the first 60 minutes. The Cent. was only 9.2%, and the Will. was only 4.8%, so it shouldn't be too bad hopefully. :D

I do appreciate your input, Yooper, as I do look up to you in the "recipe world" of homebrewing. My local brewery, Rocky Mountain Brewery, has a cherry beer called "Da Yooper's," and it is the best fruit beer I've ever had. I was hoping it would win the gold at the GABF, but the judges didn't come through.

Back