How long can PBW last mixed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsdx

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've never heard anyone comment on how long PBW is good for when mixed up. I usually mix up 20 gallons and use it for multiple brews that day then write it off. Can I keep it 2 days? 3? A week? As long as its not nasty? I can put a lid on it. I don't feel the need to keep it over a week but it would be nice to use it for several days in a row. Does it lose effectiveness? I know it tends to remain slippery feeling and alkaline.

PBW is an oxygen based cleaner. The oxygen will dissipate in a matter of hours if not sealed.

Got a response just now:

Adam,

PBW out of solution will last for a year and maybe even longer. In solution we say it's at its best the first 24hours, after that the oxygenation will start to leave the product. You could still use it up to about 24-48 hours after being in solution but it has lost about 50% of the effectiveness. Hot water is best when using it, between 100- 160 is the normal temps to use
it at, but can be used at a lower temp as well. We always look at Time, Temp and concentration. How much time do you have, what temp can you run it at and what concentration are you using. We recommend 120-160 degrees, 1/2 to 1oz per gallon, for about 30 min. You can adjust as needed. Please let me know if you have any other questions we can help with.

Shaunda Steffen
Five Star Chemicals & Supply Inc.
1-800-782-7019
303-287-0391 Fax

Latest posts

Back