Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed four batches in one week and they all came up with varying degrees of this

http://picasaweb.google.com/108488725530733315820/Pictures#5478289311210291122

finished 2 of the batches, drinking another now, and about to keg the last...

Flavor not really affected so far, the one I am drinking now was actually a kentucky common ale that was intentionally soured, so there is a very mild sour flavor but, it was done in the mash on purpose...

All fermented in different buckets and primaries, with different airlocks...May have cross contaminited when checking fg.

Plan on replacing the mash tun(not great to begin with), tubing, etc...

Will clean the bejeezus out of all else.

i had a few batches with similar "white islands", it was yeast floaties, not infection of any kind

hey guys....just brewed my first all grain batch this weekend...only problem is, it's been 4 days and this is what it looks like. Didn't use a starter...yeast was a little old, but stored properly. i'm not panicking yet, but it doesn't look like anything i've seen before...any thoughts?
nate
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50782129@N02/

Umm that just looks scary not even gross just scary.

no clue what this one is but it formed on top of an ipa that was sitting in secondary for 3 months:

CIMG0131.jpg

hey guys....just brewed my first all grain batch this weekend...only problem is, it's been 4 days and this is what it looks like. Didn't use a starter...yeast was a little old, but stored properly. i'm not panicking yet, but it doesn't look like anything i've seen before...any thoughts?
nate
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50782129@N02/

That's so pretty, no-one should miss it, it's truly what satans anus would look like:
4664946758_b001a40d14_b.jpg

Keep on brewing my friends:mug:

I brewed a kolsch 2 weekends ago and poured the last 1/2 gallon of wort from my keggle into a plastic bin just for kicks. I still don't know what kind of bacteria it is. It smells sour but not overpowering.
pellicle.JPG

damn, that is the weirdest looking beer ever. the wort nebula.

i meant the one two posts up, but damn, that kolsch looks crazy too.

After about 20 batches this is my first official infection. It is on my Switzer Mesa Honey Wheat ale batch. Can any one ID the kind of infection for me? I'm pissed about it, because I made a 3 gal batch of this recipe earlier this year and it came out great and we blasted through it in a couple of weeks, so I figured I'd do a 5 gal batch for when summer really got here and now it's infected. Dang!

I racked the beer from under the top layer and bottled it like normal. It's drinkable but has a strange taste to it. I am hoping that that will age out, but I'm not holding my breath. :-(

159-switzer-mesa-honey-wheat-what-kind-infection.jpg

160-switzer-mesa-honey-wheat-what-kind-infection.jpg

I just set up my first batch last week and am about ready to go to bottling in a couple days, I was worried about infections but this thread showed me what to look for!

Keep this post up so first timers like myself can see whats wrong.

I read a post yesterday about never dumping your beer and that time can fix it....with a case like one of these, does that still apply?

After about 20 batches this is my first official infection. It is on my Switzer Mesa Honey Wheat ale batch. Can any one ID the kind of infection for me? I'm pissed about it, because I made a 3 gal batch of this recipe earlier this year and it came out great and we blasted through it in a couple of weeks, so I figured I'd do a 5 gal batch for when summer really got here and now it's infected. Dang!

I racked the beer from under the top layer and bottled it like normal. It's drinkable but has a strange taste to it. I am hoping that that will age out, but I'm not holding my breath. :-(

159-switzer-mesa-honey-wheat-what-kind-infection.jpg

160-switzer-mesa-honey-wheat-what-kind-infection.jpg

I've had similar bubbles turn into something more like the islands below and no issues with the beer. I just finished drinking it this weekend with a friend who helped me kill the keg.

sc8ktx.jpg

not the same bucket...I don't think. If it was, I cleaned it with bleach to the point that nothing could make it. I used a washed yeast, but from a batch that was fine. I will make sure I use a different fermenter, and yeast for my next batch. This batch, like the others, will be fine, but I am looking to find out where the infection is entering the system.

Came across my first Infection I guess on the 4th.........Was a scotch ale I did for national brew day. Had whiteish large bubles hanging out on top and a film. I just racked underneath and bottled......Hoping for the best. I also checked another batch I did same day.......It has small whiteish glob on one side but other than that smells great.

Perhaps what ever the source was had to touch both brews I was pretty drunk on brew day so could have been any thing.....I'm assuming happened after boiling so bucket, bucket gasket, or something.

Going to bleach the heck out of everything I got. I also purchased new tubing.

I'm using no rinse santi, cheaper stuff brite something perhaps I need to step up to a better santi?

I just brewed a new batch on the 4th, so hoping that the infection didn't get that batch because it's my fav beer.......

So I'm making a peach wheat and I forgot to peel the peaches, and when I opened up the primary there was a dry white crust on top with evidence of what looked to be pellicle like bubbles. I transfered to secondary anyways just in case it was mold or something more harmless, and below is a picture of what it looks like now.

Does anyone have an ID on what that is? Is there any chance this would make a decent sour if I let it go, or should I just dump it?

PS sorry about the gigantic image. I can't figure out how to make it a more manageable size. If a mod wants to take care of that for me that'd be great.

Lactobacillus. This is an ESB that was fermenting 4 weeks in the primary. I Skimmed off the white stuff, crash chilled, and dry hopped in the keg w/ .5oz Styrian Goldings and .5oz Tetnanger. Awesomely tasty brew.

IMG_2091.jpg

I'm guessing now that I had an infected batch of Stout- looked exactly like all of the posts with brett-holy crap I thought you ppl snuck into my beer room. It's all a learning process. Love it so much.

IMG_2378.JPG

Not sure what this one is. Looks like mold? It appeared after a month in the primary.

Strange thing is, this was a split batch directly after the boil, and it appeared on both primaries. Both buckets were from the same place, but didn't appear to have developed anything from their previous batches.....so it was likely either during the cool-down phase of my wort, bad yeast (unlikely, the pack was sealed), or while I was taking hydro readings.

It smelled and tasted fine....racked from underneath it and bottled today...we'll see how it turns out :mug:

Say, I pitched some Orval dregs on this Saison 5 days ago. Could this be a pelicle forming, or just some sacch. kicking back up? I'm new to the whole bug thing. Please tell me it's infected....please...

Thanks
KD

IMG_0341.jpg

I popped open my lid last night. My beer had something like this on top but only on half of the beer. The circles looked more of an oval shape. Could that be an infection. I will include a photo when I get home.

Lactobacillus. This is an ESB that was fermenting 4 weeks in the primary. I Skimmed off the white stuff, crash chilled, and dry hopped in the keg w/ .5oz Styrian Goldings and .5oz Tetnanger. Awesomely tasty brew.

The white crusty stuff is not lactobacillus. I have had this in a few batches and Revvy said that its just yeasties and I think it might be beer stone.

Check out my recents pics - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/adventures-yeast-infection-189952/

The white crusty stuff is not lactobacillus. I have had this in a few batches and Revvy said that its just yeasties and I think it might be beer stone.

Check out my recents pics - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/adventures-yeast-infection-189952/

Hmmm. It looked exactly like the first pic on this topic. This is the first time I've ever had anything remotely resembling an infection. That's good to know. In any event, it didn't have any obvious off flavors from it. :mug:

I have an infection in my current secondary (Stout) and I see the starts of one in one of my primaries....SW 420. Both are my fav beers so I hope to keep them. The questions are: 1) who throws these out and who doesn't? 2) what has been the result?

not sure what Ive got here... could be bubbles, could be fuzzies.

any ideas?

infection3.jpg

infection.jpg

oh, and what are those round balls.. they look like fish food.

I know, super noob questions here.... be gentle, its my first time.

sorry about the big pictures... not sure how to make them smaller at this point (now that Ive already uploaded them).

If those white things are fuzzies, you probably have an infection, however they look like bubbles to me. the little balls are yeast clumps.

You look like you have a fantastic beer going there.

yay... !!! I was hoping it was just newbie jitters. Also, its only been in there like 5 days so I figured that was too early to see infection anyway.

thanks guys.

as far as the brew is concerned.. it tasted really good when it came out of the primary at ~10 days... so Im hoping it will only get better after a few weeks in secondary.

I told myself at this point that I wouldn't post questions like this until I had sat back and let things rest for a bit... but this ones new and I have to ask.

I assume this is krausen that got 'stuck' on some CO2 bubbles? Or I hope anyway. It's an IPA after 10 days in the primary.

The shot got rotated...

I've got an infection in a Centennial Blonde. I can't post pictures, but it's white bubbles, about the size of marbles. This is the 3rd week on primary on this one, I checked gravity last week, everything was fine. I opened it yesterday to check again, and infected. I took a gravity sample from under the crud, it was fine, and I tasted it. It tasted fine. Can I rack from under the scuzz and keg away?

Tried dry hopping for the first time 6 days ago. I thought I hade cleaned and sanitized everything very well but today I now find these signs of infection. Should I bother kegging or even bottling either of these batches of amber ale?

Can anything be done to salvage some of these batches? thanks for any input anyone may have.

Mick

0916001957a.jpg

0916001957.jpg

58409_439195777862_508247862_4959036_8236445_n.jpg

58409_439195782862_508247862_4959037_5727258_n.jpg

This is in secondary for two weeks this tuesday... At first it looked like yeast rafts but now its a little more white then it was before and theres more of it... Infection ?? or is it still yeast rafts .

Hi, about 2 days into fermentation (though with no bubbles etc) my ESB started developing what looks to be mold. The pic linked to from below is from day 4. I read that mold can simply be skimmed off, though I'm not sure how to do that in a carboy, maybe a collapsible fishnet type thing. In any case, I hadn't seen many pictures of mold contamination, so thought I would post this.

mold.JPG

I suspect the mold got in when I had suckback in the air lock, there is some slight mold in my fermentation freezer and without the lock working effectively it must have gotten in

Regards,
Rob

Back