Does table sugar invert in boiling wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

fuddle
Reaction score
I've googled and not come up with a definitive answer. Some people throw out as fact that sugar will invert when boiled in the wort because of the PH. I've seen references where some people say they can taste the difference between plain table sugar and invert sugar in beer while others say they can't. I've wondered about this since both will ferment to 100%. What would be left to taste?

Maybe the answer will pop up at the bottom when I hit the submit button.......

I've seen references where some people say they can taste the difference between plain table sugar and invert sugar in beer while others say they can't.

And I've seen references where people say they can taste the difference between two beer samples, and its later revealed they're from the same bottle.

Perception and prejudice play a huge role in taste, as much as your tastebuds, if not more.

Two things are required to invert sugar (or break apart the bonds between the fructose and sucrose molecules). Heat and low pH. Boiling wort has both. Whether it has enough of either, I'll leave to someone more expert (although I'm sure those figures wouldn't be hard to hunt up).

As to the difference in taste - both are sweet. If sugar is inverted by extended boiling it may take on a caramel flavour which obviously tastes different. The other thing sucrose supposedly requires the yeast to produce an enzyme to break it down. That enzyme (invertase) has been related to green apple (acetylaldehyde) flavour. How much sugar is required and how true that is I'm not sure. Brewers all over the shop use sugar in their beers although many of the experienced HBers I know who do add it to the boil or in the case of big belgians - incrementally through ferment after high krausen.

The pH of your wort (~5.2) isn't low enough to get much inversion. Rapid inversion requires a pH around 3. It also works better at higher concentrations than you are likely to use in making beer.

The pH of your wort (~5.2) isn't low enough to get much inversion. Rapid inversion requires a pH around 3. It also works better at higher concentrations than you are likely to use in making beer.

OK. You say "rapid". Boiling wort doesn't require rapid. I guess the question becomes will the length of time make up the difference of the higher PH?

I've seen references where some people say they can taste the difference between plain table sugar and invert sugar in beer while others say they can't. .

Doesn't sound credible to me. Sucrose is a glucose and fructose
molecule connected end to end. At low pH you disconnect them
and have an equilibrium mixture of glucose, fructose and sucrose.
What these people are saying is that they can tell the difference
between sucrose and a mixture of the three. Have you ever tasted
corn sugar (glucose) and fructose? They taste exactly the same
as sucrose; for a given amount fructose is the sweeter of the three,
but no actual difference in taste.

Ray

What about when the yeast converts these molecules? What are the differences between how yeast reacts with each of these?

What about when the yeast converts these molecules? What are the differences between how yeast reacts with each of these?

Cell structures utilize glucose. To break the bonds of sugar chains to reduce them to the basic glucose the cell or another mechanism must produce enzymes or chemicals capable of cleaving the bonds.

So yeast breaks down sucrose into glucose and fructose, then "eats" both? If so, would it matter what you gave them to eat in the first place? Unless that enzyme that the yeast produces gives the beer a flavor.

Is that pdf saying that if I brew a beer with sucrose, and ferment with S. cerevisiae (S-05), those yeast will break the sucrose down, then only eat glucose, leaving fructose behind?

Is this also why when increasing alcohol content, dextrose is recommended over table sugar?

So then back to my previous question...

With respect to the enzyme that the yeast uses to break sucrose down, I wonder what the amounts of this is and it's flavor contribution that would lead one to use an inverted sugar over table sugar.

With respect to the enzyme that the yeast uses to break sucrose down, I wonder what the amounts of this is and it's flavor contribution that would lead one to use an inverted sugar over table sugar.

Kind of the point of my original post. Some people claim they CAN taste the difference between using inverted sugar and plain. This didn't line up with the folks claiming that the PH in the wort automatically did the inversion anyhow.

Here's a little about sugar conversion, etc. you might find interesting:

Inversion, Invert Sugar and Invertase

Invert sugars are monosaccharides, dextrose and fructose, that generally comes from sucrose, a disaccharide.

This is done by hydrolysis, and can be accomplished by heat, acid or the actions of an enzyme known as "invertase." Candy makers generally perform the latter process to make their invert sugars, and their source of invertase is our good friend Saccharomyces cerevisiae, aka brewer's yeast. S. cerevisiae makes invertase naturally.

How does invert sugar affect beer? Little if any flavor contribution, but what it does do is lighten the body of a given beer while increasing the alcohol content.

A side word about dextrose: it is more commonly called glucose and is the chief source of energy in the body and the main sugar that the body manufactures. Cells require insulin to utilize glucose.

So how does sucrose affect the flavor of beer? It must be broken apart before the yeasts can use it. As a complex sugar, it's a little harder for the yeast to "chew on" table sugar (sucrose) than it is for them to eat up dextrose or fructose.

A complaint often heard in homebrewing circles is that using table sugar in beer-making results in "cidery" beer, or sometimes even in a major amount of acetyaldehyde (green apple) being present. Acetylaldehyde[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol, and often results from using too much complex sugar that the yeast cannot fully convert. "Cidery" flavors are also indicative of acetylaldehyde, or aceto-bacteria, another problem entirely.[/FONT]

The rule pretty much became 'avoid all table sugar' for a lot of people. Others say that the aforementioned defects most likely come from poor yeast due to a under-pitching, a lack of other necessary yeast building materials in the wort, or even a lack of oxygenation. That makes sense if you think it through: not enough, weak or "tired" yeast won't finish its job properly and it can leave behind intermediate compounds that are quickly identified as off-flavors.

You can use table sugar and make great beers. But don't believe me, look around at some famous Belgian breweries who are world-renowned for their beers and you'll find a sizable number user table sugar instead of invert!

Table sugar can be used in small amounts in a healthy wort with few problems. But as the old advice goes about aspirin -- two is good for a headache, but don't take the whole bottle -- one should not rely on table sugars too heavily. Doing so courts the problems cider-beer and green-apple beer.

Me, I find it dead simple to make invert sugar and often do when I am brewing up a Belgian-style brew. Recipes galore exist all over the place, and it's only a short bit of work to make the stuff.

What i have wondered, is that since glucose is the common starting molecule in the metabolic pathway of yeast, and a phosphorylated fructose is present later in the glycolitic pathway, what enzyme would be present to convert the fructose to 1-p fructose?

What i have wondered, is that since glucose is the common starting molecule in the metabolic pathway of yeast, and a phosphorylated fructose is present later in the glycolitic pathway, what enzyme would be present to convert the fructose to 1-p fructose?

Phosphofructokinase? I don't know what you mean by 1-p fructose
but according to the pathway at the KEGG database fructose is
phosphorylated by yeast at the 2 position, the 6 position and
both 1 and 6, but not 1 only.
http://www.genome.jp/kegg-bin/show_...apno=00051&mapscale=1.0&show_description=show

My mistake, 1-p fructose is on the far left, made in one pathway
from 1,6-diphosphofructose by phosphofructokinase, but also
from glycerone by another enzyme.

Click on the squares to get enzyme names and info, on the little
circles to get the molecular structure of the intermediates.

Ray

I did not do that well in biochem, and my pathways get jumbled. The point i was trying to make is that the yeast seem to have the ability to tackle either pretty efficiently. I wonder if there is a significant taste difference as a result of the pathways.

I'm trying to decide whether to invert cane sugar first, or put it straight in the wort and let it work it out.

Read all I could find on it, opinions are nearly split. The direct in the wort arguments seem a bit more convincing, but I guess the only way to know for sure is two brews with only that variable changed.

Any more opinions? Anyone actually try both and taste the difference?

Latest posts

Back