Will it be fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamaha450

Reaction score
My wife went and bought me a hydrometer today. I started brewing this evening and after I filled my fermenter up to five gallons, I went to get my OG reading and discovered that the hydrometer was broke.
I went ahead and added the yeast even though I didn't know what the OG reading was. Should it be OK?
Also, when I was pouring the wort into the fermenter, I noticed alot of crud in the bottom of the kettle. I thought I had stirred real good. I took my stir spoon and got all the crud into the fermenter from the kettle. Is that OK too? Thanks for your help.

If you brewed an extract batch then your OG is not going to vary all that much so there is time to replace the hydrometer to measure the finishing gravity if you want. No problem there. The crud ( or trub ) will settle out in the fermenter and you can siphon off above it for a clearer beer. Good luck on your brew. What type was it?

I told the man at the store that I wanted a Golden Ale. He gave me a can of Coopers Real Ale, corn syrup, and finishing hops (hallertalu hybrid). Does that sound right?
On the yeast, he gave me Coopers Dried Yeast. I understand that Ale and Lager use different types of yeast. The package that I had did not say if it was for Ale or Lager. He also gave me Bru-Vigor. Please excuse my ignorance.

I don't know much about Coopers Kits but I believe they are prehopped so with finishing hops that sounds right. I am not a fan of adding corn syrup or sugar to make fermentables for beer but there are people that do it. On your next batch try using all malt extract instead of corn sugars and I think your product will be better tasting. Try to keep the temp in the low 70's for the ale yeast. Are there any additional choices for beer making kits at the brew store?

Welcome!

When you say the hyrdrometer broke, do you know when, how, where? Did you get your reading before or after you saw it was broken?
That's weird that he gave you corn syrup. I've never used it and my LHBS guy has never mentioned it.

I said the man at the store gave "me", he actually gave my wife since I was at work at the time. I thought it was corn syrup since it was in a clear plastic container. Could it have been extract? You guys have me worried if it was corn syrup. Next time, I should probably go.

yamaha450 said:
I said the man at the store gave "me", he actually gave my wife since I was at work at the time. I thought it was corn syrup since it was in a clear plastic container. Could it have been extract? You guys have me worried if it was corn syrup. Next time, I should probably go.

Either that or just order exactly what you want from an online brew supply dealer.

Corn syrup is the one of the cheapest ways to get fermentables into a beer, I'd also say the worst! It will make beer but don't be too disappointed if it doesn't meet expectations. Some homebrew shops sell it but I'd be surprised if they recommended it and if they did I wouldn't respect any of their other advice.

Yamaha,

Hey man.
About crud in the bottom of your kettle...
I have noticed that LME -ie. syrup,
is more difficult than DME -ie. dried,
to mix with the brew water.
But both can stick to the bottom of the kettle if one is not careful,
so as to avoid crud in the bottom of ones brew kettle.
I get the water real hot, not nesessarily boiling, just pretty hot and take it off the stove before I mix my 'stuff' in.

Stir in your DME or LME and let it sit.
For half an hour or so stir it every time you walk by and make sure it is mixed and not laying on the bottom before you fire up the stove again.
Get a hop sock on a fork and sweep the bottom of the brew kettle.

By crud I am assuming you mean crud stuck on the bottom of your kettle.
And other than a thick film of crud there I don't know what kind of crud you may be experiancing. Use a hop bag if you are experiancing hop-crud.
Grain additions may cause a residual grain crud.
But whatever stuff you are mixing in with your 'wort',
see to it that it is throughly mixed,
or in a 'bag',
and crud will be less of a problem.

Most of all don't worry have a homebrew

J. Knife

Talked to the man at the brew store. It was extract, I found out that corn syrup was clear. Thanks for everyones advice.

Back