anyone ever use lemon Balm in a brew??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebd

Reaction score
I am brewing up am experimental brew tonight...a 2.5 gallon batch of lemon balm hopped ale....here is the recipe I am working with

lemon balm hopped ale
21-A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Size: 2.5 gal

mashing for 75 minutes at 158F.
yeast-- American ale #1056
Original Gravity: 1.044 (1.026 - 1.120)
Terminal Gravity: 1.011 (0.995 - 1.035)
Color: 6.06 (1.0 - 50.0)
Alcohol: 4.27% (2.5% - 14.5%)
Bitterness: 41.8 (0.0 - 100.0)

Ingredients:
3 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.4 lb Belgian Biscuit
.4 lb Munich TYPE I
.5 oz Amarillo (8.6%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.25 oz Willamette (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
.4 lb Cara-Pils® Malt
.25 oz Amarillo (8.6%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
4.0 tsp lemon balm leafs - added during boil, boiled 45.0 min

has anyone brewed with lemon balm before...its a wild mint for those that don't know...what were your results with it?

I haven't used lemon balm, but I have used sorachi ace hops, which also give a lemony aroma. If this doesn't work, you may try using those instead. I don't know if boiling the lemon balm leaf for 45 minutes is the best way to go, you may lose all the aroma and flavor out of it.

I haven't used lemon balm, but I have used sorachi ace hops, which also give a lemony aroma. If this doesn't work, you may try using those instead. I don't know if boiling the lemon balm leaf for 45 minutes is the best way to go, you may lose all the aroma and flavor out of it.

The brew turned out great.. the flavor and aroma of the lemon balm was lost but it did add bittering and a mint tickle aftertaste that is awsome...I will definitly brew with lemon balm again...its a nice IPA...

Back