Which Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Hello,

So I am making a mild. It should have an OG of 1.037 ish, as I recall. I want to pick the right yeast strain. I though about dry but my concern is if it will attentuate down too far. I don't want to lose the nice mild sweetness of the style. But I also want it to go far enough to hit the desired FG. I was thinking liquid yeast would work for this but just felt I should get some responses not just on this question but also on the effect of dry yeast on lower gravity beers. ie, with the higher pitching rates of dry yeast, are they sometimes overkill on low grav beers. I have never used them before. Thanks everyone.

I'm generally not a big fan of sweet (and by sweet I mean not dry) beers so I don't have a lot of experience with low attenuating strains aside from Wyeast 1338 - it worked well for a sweet stout that I did last year.

Wyeast 1968ESB/White Labs 002 English Ale would work. I'm particularly fond of Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale, originally a British strain, and Wyeast 1318 London Ale III (the Boddington's strain). All of them have English yeast character, moderate attenuation so the mild has some body, and good flocculation characteristics. The mild I brewed for the 10der & Mild swap used 1332 Northwest Ale and was one of my better English beers yet.

Chad

I made a Mild recently 1.033 and it finished at 1.010 with White Labs WLP002 3% Alcohol. A perfect session beer that is Very tasty.

if its an AG brew, just use a mash temperature that promotes a less fermentable wort. even champagne yeast can't ferment unfermentable sugars.

not that picking a low attenuating yeast wouldn't work, just trying to present all the options :)

I've made excellent milds with US-04 and Windsor, but my absolute favorite strain so far has been the West Yorkshire 1469PC. It was a Private Collection release from Wyeast in Q4; just incredible. Full chewy malt character with some wonderful stonefruit esters.

If you have the means to culture from a slant, I would be happy to send you one.

Latest posts

Back