Unbelievable blow off!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4295

Reaction score
This blow off experience may not be unbelievable to most of you who have been brewing for a long time, but for me, it is absolutely incredible!

Yesterday I brewed my first RIS from a B3 kit (1.090 OG). At about 6:00pm I transferred my cooled wort (60˚F) onto a previous yeast cake from a 1.060 OG creme stout, which had a 2000ml starter made from Wyeast 1098, I think, that I racked to a secondary earlier in the day. I used a stone and pure O2 for about 2 minutes, and then again 2 hours later for about 2 minutes. By 10:00pm I already had a furious blow off in progress. Foam control drops were used. I can't even imagine what it would be like had I not used the foam control drops!

I got up this morning to find that my 1 gallon jug filled 1/3 of the way with water that I was using for my blow off container was now filled up about 2/3 of the way! It is apparent that there is now a strong fermentation going on in my blow off bottle! I can see yeast actively swirling around and a very thick krausen has formed! I will add that the ambient temp in my cellar is 64˚F and with the help of my swap cooler the fermenter is sitting at a comfortable 68˚F. I am just slightly saddened by the loss in volume that I am experiencing from this violent blow off, but I am at the same time, optimistic that I will have good attenuation.

I'm not really asking a specific question, but would appreciate any thoughts or comments with regard to your experiences with such violent blow offs. Thanks.

John

I've had a good ferment going in my blow-off holding container...despite it being 1/2gal. of water with 1tbsp of bleach! It was a good bleachy-smelling beer in there.

Ended up losing nearly 1/4 gallon of volume in my Oktoberfest Ale at a temp of 62deg. The yeast was German Ale...1007 I think...and it makes a nice krausen.

Yet, my Winter Ale brewed on the same day with London ESB yeast and a similarly close OG didn't blow at all and had a lower gravity when racked to secondary.

Wondering what my Wee Heavy will do tommorow with a similar OG as yours and a nice healthy yeast starter...

I have had a few outrageous blow-offs as well. the trick to not losing precious beer is using a 6 gal carboy for primary and a 5 for secondary. The gas from ferming clears the oxygen out of the 6 so no worry's about oxy to beer, and the xtra head space keeps the beer from going out the blo- off tube. Cheers

gabe said:
I have had a few outrageous blow-offs as well. the trick to not losing precious beer is using a 6 gal carboy for primary and a 5 for secondary. The gas from ferming clears the oxygen out of the 6 so no worry's about oxy to beer, and the xtra head space keeps the beer from going out the blo- off tube. Cheers

That is a 6 gallon Better-Bottle shown in the photo.

Hey mods, what happened to my post with the linked photos? Were they too large?

The total volume was 5.5 gallons. Here is another attempt at posting the photos.

John

DSC02202.jpg

DSC02204.jpg

Back