How many full boils from 5 gal LP gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
So I've done my second full boil (6.5 gal) heated to boil then held for just over an hour.
Looks like I have 1/3 tank left.. just enough for one more batch.

How many do you get from a 5 gal tank?

The tank should have an empty weight printed on it. Filled adds about 20lbs to that. Put it on your bathroom scale to figure out how much you use per session and to see if there’s enough left to brew.

Also, it will vary depending on your setup. If you have a 3 tier like mine with burners on each tier, you're going to burn more than if you are using one turkey fryer. Also, the "blowtorch" burners will use more gas than other types.

I like to have a full extra tank so I can totally empty each one and not have to worry about running out for a swap during a brew session. When one tank empties, I hook up the spare, and fill the empty when it's convenient.

I like to have a full extra tank so I can totally empty each one and not have to worry about running out for a swap during a brew session. When one tank empties, I hook up the spare, and fill the empty when it's convenient.

Thats the same thing I do. I also get about 6 batches per fill.

Maybe the best advice ever....always have a second tank (for brewing or grilling)....nothing worse than running out......

I also do the 2 tank system so I can use all the propane that I buy. I probably get 5-6 five gallon batches and maybe 4 ten gallon batches out of a 20lb tank.

I heat all my strike and sparge water on the stove for my five gallon batches and the strike water only for my ten gallon batches.

Mike

Back