MLT manifold question - (holes up or down?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerme70

Reaction score
I have seen this topic before, but can't seem to find it. My question is this: should you position the holes of your manifold up or down? I have read on various sights, and some say up, and some say down. Which is better?

I think that is personal preference. People brew with manifolds both ways and enjoy good results from it. What type of sparging do you do batch or fly?

You want them facing down. If you put the holes facing up your syphon will break at that point (leaving a lot of liquor in the tun) and you run a big risk of the weight of the grain plugging up the holes.

You want them facing down. If you put the holes facing up your syphon will break at that point (leaving a lot of liquor in the tun) and you run a big risk of the weight of the grain plugging up the holes.

I agree. This make sense to me. Especially if you have a big cooler you will waste a lot of wort.

down seems to make more sense, but you can dry fit the pipes, twist them and experiment with both configurations

Back