How many Bubbles per min in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello

The title says it all.

I used: 18L Water
6 pounds of honey
2 pound sugar
Kv116 wine yeast
4 cans of orange juice concentrate

1St i had no airlock i used a poly bag with a small hole, it filled quickly
and you a lot of activity in the carboy.

I'm on day 7 and have now gotten an airlock. Fermentation has slowed today
and i see 1 bubble every 4 seconds. Does this seem like a good speed?

Thank you. :fro::ban::fro: :rockin:

Bubble speed varies and doesn't mean much, invest in a hydrometer if you don't own one, this will assure you have fermented dry or various things

depends...do you a have a 3 piece airlock or a S-bubble type? Big difference in bubble production and ratio(s) from the amount of bubbles produced per minute per second in correlation to fermentation speed.

it's a 3 piece and i knew co2 was related to fermentation speed :rockin:
And fermentation speed can vary on many things.

Amount of sugars available.

Amount of nitrogen

Amount of non-nitrogen nutrients

Temperature

pH of must

Etc etc.....

Bubble rate is unreliable. Yes it tells you something is going on, but not what or how well it's progressing.....

Oh and if you had read enough early guidance, you would be aware that for effective and properly monitored fermentation, a standards wine/beer hydrometer is necessary. Plus pH/Litmus strips for the appropriate range (2 to 5 pH) or a cheap pH meter are/is helpful.....

Counting bubbles can easily lead to incorrect presumption of readiness and result in bottle bombs........

Equally, your batch ? What's the point of the sugar ?

it's a 3 piece and i knew co2 was related to fermentation speed :rockin:

Sometime it is.

Sometimes it is not.

Barometric pressure changes can cause a finished wine or mead to have airlock bubbling.

Temperature changes will cause significant airlock bubbling at times.

It doesn't have a thing to do with fermentation- it has to do with barometric and temperature changes.

For example, if you put an airlock on an empty carboy and put it in a room 10-20 degrees warmer- the airlock will bubble regularly.

Back