building stir plate for yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelseasick

Reaction score
I may try to build a stir plate from a pc fan. direction online and looks easy. now the question is what size flask should I have for the starter? anybody build a stir plate from a pc fan?:rockin:

There are several threads about doing this, but here's the one I did (using a 120mm pc fan):
medium.jpg

more info here: http://www.pbase.com/mrfebtober/diy_stir_plate

Oh, and as for flask size, I just use a 1 gal. growler (for a 2 quart starter). Somebody on here even uses a flower vase for starters (i forget who).

good luck with the project!

Yup. The PC fan works great. Just make sure whatever container you use, you leave plenty of headroom for a krausen. I've been leaving about 1/4 of the volume open and recently found that that is not always enough.

Very cool project.

How does the computer fan make your stir bar go around ? Do you attach another magnet to the blades of the fan?

Where do u get 1" stir bars ? This looks like a very easy project, and I have access to many computer fans ..

Very cool project.

How does the computer fan make your stir bar go around ? Do you attach another magnet to the blades of the fan?

Where do u get 1" stir bars ? This looks like a very easy project, and I have access to many computer fans ..

Use a couple magnets from an old hard drive on the top of the fan (you can see one in the picture).

You can get stir bars at any lab supply place. Here is one on ebay and here is an online store, both have them pretty cheap.

EDIT: This place is the cheapest I have seen. 1" stir bars for $1.70

There are several threads about doing this, but here's the one I did (using a 120mm pc fan):
medium.jpg

Oh, and as for flask size, I just use a 1 gal. growler (for a 2 quart starter). Somebody on here even uses a flower vase for starters (i forget who).

i would love more info on this please! where did you get the plastic top? how did you attach the magnet? and how did you wire it? what where the amps/voltage of the phone charger (im guessing it was a phone charger)? i want to make this really bad. seems like the cheapest way. thank you

medium.jpg

i would love more info on this please! where did you get the plastic top? how did you attach the magnet? and how did you wire it? what where the amps/voltage of the phone charger (im guessing it was a phone charger)? i want to make this really bad. seems like the cheapest way. thank you

Back