I should've put a blowoff on last night...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkyHighBrew88

Reaction score
S-04 on my Dogfish Head 90 minute clone.

OG 1.090

Before setting up blowoff...
image-3057812763.jpg

After attempting to remove cap, and getting sprayed with yeast & hop debris.
image-1458499643.jpg

Double blowoff setup, partially cleaned fermentation fridge. Thank god I don't ferment in the house anymore.
image-2022523211.jpg

That's plenty of mess, but could have been worse if the cap came off and did a major Old Faithful.

As a side note, may I suggest putting your carboy in a milk crate after running through the "sliced the crap out of myself because of a broken carboy" threads.

Personally, I would double the size of the blow-off jar. Looks like you are going to have another mess. Cheers

Alright we got a bigger vessel to blowoff in.
image-3983276237.jpg

I keep forgetting to get fermcap whenever I go to the store. I didn't expect it to get this nuts last night. I figured last night it was at it's peak and that since my fridge was holding it about 63F it wouldn't go too crazy. WRONG! This thing is still blowin off CO2 like mad through both tubes.

Right now it's exactly 36hrs from pitching so I'm thinking this would be about the worst of it.

On a positive note the beer that is coming out tastes quite similar to DFH! So at least i've got that going...

I would have had a serious problem with my last Belgian Dubbel if I had not used the blow off! Looks like you saved most of it. I need Fermcap as well. It's on my next order from morebeer.

I been in truck stop bathroom stalls that looked just like that:cross:

Yeah either ferm cap or larger fermenter, and always run a blowoff.

I just lost a gallon of my maple nut brown due to blowoff. Does Fermcap really work? I've never heard of it until this.

It does work, very well. I use it for starters, as I use an erlenmeyer flask with little headroom, usually. You just have to be careful not to use too much, because it can kill your head retention later.

Back