What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say dogfish ta henket was god awful and newcastle werewolf tasted like mud water or something.

Redhook variety pack was the worst set of beers i have had. It had an ipa, pilsner, copper, and pale ale. Each one tasted the same which was crap! I believe it was the store mishandling it, maybe exposing it to too much heat. I contacted redhook and they couldn't do anything

Redhook variety pack was the worst set of beers i have had. It had an ipa, pilsner, copper, and pale ale. Each one tasted the same which was crap! I believe it was the store mishandling it, maybe exposing it to too much heat. I contacted redhook and they couldn't do anything

I believe that Redhook uses the same yeast regardless of beer style. I tend to avoid them and Pyramid completely.

tally350z said:
I had the Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy the other day and it tasted bland and nothing good at all..

Yeah that beer is no good at all. All the ones I've had from them are discusting. Also Boulder singletrack.. just terrible.

Hands down the worst was Rogue's Voodoo bacon maple beer.
We drove three hours away to give it a try. I didn't think it was going to be a new favorite, but it sounded interesting.
We sat down and each ordered a bottle. My buddy drank all his, I had less than half of mine before I just couldn't take it any more. I asked for a strong stout to get the taste out of my mouth.

On the plus side they had many more beers that were great.
They were out of barley wine, the one cask conditioned beer was too sweet and the mead tasted like cider but everything else was great. I tried about ten of them.

I've been wanting to try the bacon maple, I'll probably pass.

I think rogues dead guy ale is gross and WAY too expensive!....actually, now that I think about it, I don't like any rogue beer.
Fort George "vortex IPA" is my favorite

solbes said:
Hmm, I've had the 312 Urban Wheat and thought it was okay. Nothing really stood out with that one, more of a easy drinking wheat for my wife. I remember some citrus/lemon flavor and that was about it. Did you somehow get a spoiled bottle?

I like their Honkers Ale quite a bit for what it is. Their IPA is not top of the line, but pretty good.

I like the 312, but honkers is my favorite goose. I also like the IPA, Pepe Nero, and Matilda...I was sad when AB became the majority owner.

I vaguely remember being drunk off my a$$ in college (just once, honest Mom!) and a distributor came in and said he had just lined up a new brewery and he wanted to buy everyone a drink. They rolled in a keg and hooked it up to one of the taps and started handing them out. *Lots* of people didn't finish them, and this was in a college bar around 10PM. So you *know* that stuff was bad.

Worst one I can remember was Dixie Blackened Voodoo. Tasted like a burnt shoe with a hint of old sweatsock, and no body whatsoever. Bought a whole case of it (I'm in PA) and I think I still had 4-5 bottles sitting on a shelf when I moved over a year later.

Was very disappointed with Rogue Dead Guy Ale too, although I'm willing to give it another try sometime. Had it when I lived in Portland, so I don't think it was an issue with travel or storage.

I am so sorry your taste buds have dwindled down to being nothing but tongue bumps . Perhaps if you scrub them with a soft copper wire brush and then some Ivory soap with pumice added your taste buds will be re born into proper beer loving buds that happily make your brain say " WOOPIEEEE " when you drink some Blackened Voodoo.

Just messing with you . Voodoo is not for the faint of heart or the light ale drinker . It is nasty bitter and strong and damn i love it . I think I shall go buy some now that you brought up the subject.

Worst beer ever is a flat tire or perhaps that nasty IPA I bought and almost barfed and dumped it down the sink , can not remember the name but I will remember to never again buy a bottle that says IPA on the it .

So just to be fair since I had not drank a voodoo in many years and back then was guzzling large amounts of Old English 800, spiced rum etc all day long I thought I would give it a good go and went and bought a Dixie Blackened Voodoo . I am drinking it now . I must say it is quite tasty . Not bitter as I remembered . A strong chocolate coffee taste . A bit on the sweet side . Nice of hop flavor .

I think when I try my AG D.B.V. I might add in a more bitter hop .

I will be testing also a Samuel Adams Chocolate bock and a Murphy's red ale . If they taste horrible I will post the results

Worst beer ever is a flat tire or perhaps that nasty IPA I bought and almost barfed and dumped it down the sink , can not remember the name but I will remember to never again buy a bottle that says IPA on the it .

Remind me not to share my Pliny clone with you:cross:

Buffalo being blueberry stout.
That beer sucks!
Also tried a 3 Floyds bubble gum head ipa, treated like a pine tree, potted it down the drain after 1 swig!!!

I have two.

Tall Grass "stout", come to find out, from their website, it's actually a cream stout. It didnt say anywhere on the can. maybe its the fact that i expected a regular stout and got something sweet, but I tried it again and really didnt like it.

Leffe Brun. Gross. I shared some with a friend who is also a beer fan and the best way we could describe it was a "cartoonish" level of belgian flavor. I still have like 3 bottles from the original 6 pack.

I tried a chili pepper beer that had a chili in it . Some Mexican garbage I guess . Looked like a cerveza . Horrible to the Extreme should have been the name of it .

On the good side of things the two beers I tried last night were quite good .

MarcusKillion said:
I tried a chili pepper beer that had a chili in it . Some Mexican garbage I guess . Looked like a cerveza . Horrible to the Extreme should have been the name of it .

On the good side of things the two beers I tried last night were quite good .

I'll be sure to steer clear of the garbage beer, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for those good beers :drunk:

Dont remember the name but tried a Grape Fruit Wheat one time at Old Chicago....worst ever

yeah, not the worst beers but highly disappointing are a lot of light but serious attempts at fruit beers. i never even try them anymore after having a very disappointing raspberry beer from southern tier and a peach-wheat from macauslan. both those breweries are awesome otherwise but i almost never go for a clean profile fruit-centric beer

MarcusKillion said:
So just to be fair since I had not drank a voodoo in many years and back then was guzzling large amounts of Old English 800, spiced rum etc all day long I thought I would give it a good go and went and bought a Dixie Blackened Voodoo . I am drinking it now . I must say it is quite tasty . Not bitter as I remembered . A strong chocolate coffee taste . A bit on the sweet side . Nice of hop flavor .

I think when I try my AG D.B.V. I might add in a more bitter hop .

I will be testing also a Samuel Adams Chocolate bock and a Murphy's red ale . If they taste horrible I will post the results

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock is amazing!!!

I just had the worst one in recent memory the other night...

Saranac Red IPA.

It's "Red" and that's about it, there's no bitterness, hop flavor, or aroma. It's just a sweet, estery mess. Seriously, my reaction was "this tastes like a bad homebrew" - you know, like the second extract kit you ever buy "Red Ale" where you underpitch non-rehydrated dry yeast in your 80 degree closet?

That's what Saranac Red IPA Tastes like.

I've had great beers at all the Raleigh area breweries so I didn't think twice about buying tickets to a wing festival at Roth Brewing a few weeks ago. The wings were okay but the beers, and I tried 3, were awful.

Their cinnamon porter had overwhelming hot fusels that gave the beer a cinnamon rubbing alcohol taste. The Raleigh Red, an amber, was bland and watery with zero hop flavor and aroma. The honey hefeweizen was drinkable but crystal clear with no hefeweizen characteristics.

I felt bad for all the hipsters drinking these beers and trying to act like the beers were great.

The Roth Foehammer is pretty good I thought. Everything else by them is pretty terrible especially when there is a ton of craft brews made in the Raleigh area that are great.

Two beers on my list:

First was a beer called Coastal Fog Pale Ale. I bought a sixer at Bevmo several years ago. I was really new to homebrewing at the time and wasn't familiar with off flavors and their causes. Anyway, cracked open one and took a big drink. It tasted like a bag of buttered popcorn. I had no idea what was going on. It wasn't the most offensive thing in the world...I drank all six of them over the course of a month or so. I wasn't sure if that was the flavor they were trying for, because I didn't know any better. Regardless, I never bought anything from them again.

The second one was only a couple of years ago. I had recently discovered Flemish reds/Oud Bruins and was smitten. I was trying every brand I could get my hands on. I found a bottle at (again) Bevmo from Hermitage Brewing, called "1 Door Flemish Style Sour Ale". It was $2.99 for a bomber, which even back then I knew was suspect. I figured I would try it. I figured, if it was even half-decent, I would at least have access to a cheap sour. It wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it was absolutely not a sour ale. Not even close. There wasn't even a note of tartness. Highly disappointing. I guess it may not have been a bad beer per se, but I don't remember. It's like someone handing you a root beer but telling you it's cherry coke. It might be a good root beer, but you're thrown for a loop after the first taste.

The Roth Foehammer is pretty good I thought. Everything else by them is pretty terrible especially when there is a ton of craft brews made in the Raleigh area that are great.

agreed! Lonerider and Aviator are both excellent. Big Boss is not too bad, and
Fullsteam makes some really good brews. Raleigh is rapidly becoming a craft beer destination! :mug:

Rogue dead guy ale at a Buffalo Wild Wings .. It was nearly flat and dull. I don't know if it was flat and stale but it sure tasted like it, and ill be damned if I ever order one again.

Since I've started home brewing and appreciate hops more even yeungling is tasteless(and overly mAlty) to me

For some reason I really like SA Cherry Wheat. The worst Craft brew I have had in recent memory was Green Flash Rayon Vert. I thought it was absolutly terrible. Reminded me of barf... Straight up. Maybe its an acquired taste.

Just thought of one. There used to be a brewpub in Mobile (can't remember the name) and they used to have a seasonal "Satsumaweisse". It looked like Mt. Dew and tasted like it was brewed with a dirty dish rag. Absolutely vile. In case you're wondering, a satsuma is a species of mandarin orange. Very sweet and seedless. They're awesome by themselves, but NOT in beer!

Rogue dead guy ale at a Buffalo Wild Wings .. It was nearly flat and dull. I don't know if it was flat and stale but it sure tasted like it, and ill be damned if I ever order one again.

Since I've started home brewing and appreciate hops more even yeungling is tasteless(and overly mAlty) to me

Dead guy is pretty damn good in my opinion. Go somewhere that cleans their beer lines and has higher turnover.

I used to love Red Hook's Longhammer IPA and hadn't had it in awhile so I bought a 6-pack last week. Man, it was awful. I guess my taste buds have matured and I've tried lots of top notch IPA's over the past year, but damn I never remember Longhammer being so bad. Definitely won't be wasting my money on that anymore.

It is funny to see this many Sam Adams beers on here. I always liked the company idea and their message etc. but darned if I ever liked ANY of their beers.

Agreed... the only Sam Adams I seem to like is the original.

Maybe they just over do it? Maybe th beer tastes great fresh, out of the tap at the brew house... but it sure doesnt age well in the bottles.

I had their Hop special variety last night... Was drinking the Noble Pils with 5 noble hops in it... it was rich in hops... but jeez... who wants too much hop in a beer? If I tricked myself into liking it, it still would only be okay.

So to your point, yes, Sam Adams puts out some real questionable beers. Maybe they are over doing it?

Maybe they just over do it? Maybe th beer tastes great fresh, out of the tap at the brew house... but it sure doesnt age well in the bottles.

I had their Hop special variety last night... Was drinking the Noble Pils with 5 noble hops in it... it was rich in hops... but jeez... who wants too much hop in a beer? If I tricked myself into liking it, it still would only be okay.

So to your point, yes, Sam Adams puts out some real questionable beers. Maybe they are over doing it?

have you tried the winter ale ? Seems pretty good to me . Also the chocolate bock was good if you like the cocoa flavor . I did drink one a while back and can not remember what it was but it sucked.
I am on the look fora bottle of Utopias . Not sure it is worth the 200 or what ever price but it sounds like something to try just to say i did .
EDIT : Not ! After reading reviews http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/25759/?sort=low&start=0 I have decided that Utopias is horrible stuff . High ABV = great -- Maple and brown sugar = nasty and do not belong in a beer just like fruit does not belong in a beer.

I think their boston lager is the best beer they put out, but I do like noble pils as well. I tried their hazel brown recently and it was downright nasty - tasted like someone just put a bunch of artificial flavor into a beer.

Sam Adams mixed 12 packs got me started on different beer styles. Their Boston Lager, Brick Red, Summer Ale, and Winter Lager are all good beers in my book. They put out a lot of meh beers though.

They do rebrand their cherry wheat as, "Guardian Ale" - I've had it at the All Hands Club at TRACEN Cape May (coast guard boot camp).

For some reason I really like SA Cherry Wheat. The worst Craft brew I have had in recent memory was Green Flash Rayon Vert. I thought it was absolutly terrible. Reminded me of barf... Straight up. Maybe its an acquired taste.

OMG THAT'S BLASPHEMY! It's a bretta beer. Do you drink sours?

That beer is AWESOME! I'm not in their distro, or it would be a regular in my fridge. Their Saison Diego is amazing, too.

Back