Yankee Ingenuity V, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Last one was so much fun, let's do it again.

Met a couple of cool new folks last night at a new homebrew club meeting, several folks who indicated a strong desire to get together and brew (Which we ought to do before it gets too cold). So, let's make it another HBT event, YANKEE INGENUITY V.

Sunday, November 11th. I should have the Barley Crusher by then (good excuse to get my b-day present a couple weeks early). My place, in Adams. Low key. Details to be figgered out later on, I just wanted to get the date out there so if anyone wants to come down, they can start planning now.

I'm highly interested, but for about the 3rd time I have another commitment during YE! I'll get to one of these eventually!

My lovely wife will be out of town during that time frame so the probability of me showing up is very low unless I am able to secure child care for the day. In the meantime I will ponder the logistics of making a 5 gallon batch,:rolleyes: in the event that the stars are precisely aligned and I am able to show.

There's a chance I could talk the wife into doing some kid-watching. If the weather's nice, there's a nice playground nearby.

the_bird said:
There's a chance I could talk the wife into doing some kid-watching. If the weather's nice, there's a nice playground nearby.

Keep me posted. There is a remote possibility that I could bring one, and drop one off at my in-laws in Greenfield for the day.
I have been putting together a recipe for a sorghum beer made with extract, so that might be the easy way out for me if I make it.

Talked to the wife last night, she's more than willing to help keep an eye on the kids that day. If the weather's nice, might even invite some of Cassie's other friends over to play.

Remember, I've got that second burner (I'll just single-infuse something that day) if you need to borrow one.

I hope to make it if just to hang and have a few brews. Getting to be alot to lug all the gear around, got too much ****.:drunk: I keep telling my self I'll host one here in NY but you guys keeping beating me to the punch.

Bump-iddy-bump-bump, bump bump.

PM me if you're coming and need directions. Anyone have any thoughts on food? I'm cool with going simple and just ordering some pizzas.

Thanks for the bump. I'm working on the logistics of this to try an make it reality. It is somewhat hazy right now, but the stars may be coming into alignment for this to work out.

Are you on town water? Can you post a copy of your H2O quality report so I can determine what I may need to achieve my desired mash properties.

Uh... on town water, but I haven't gotten a water report yet, sorry. I'll try and get one first thing next week, but worst-case, you might want to pack some jugs of your own tap.

Hey, it's got to be better than whatever was coming out of your garden hose - I've never gotten a hot break while heating strike water before!

huh, I missed this thread somehow. So this Sunday eh? Not sure I can make it. Would be great though. Family trip to Boston Saturday, Sunday though... Hmmm. Have to confer with the wife. Was going to take a trip sort of that way but farther north. I'll get back to you folks.

Let me know. I know that's a bit of a haul. Jester's coming down, though; how far are you from Stowe? You guys might be able to split a ride.

Anybody else coming that needs directions? Shoot me a PM and let me know. So far, confirmed or semi-confirmed guest list includes Glib, Kappclark, Evanmars, 2nd Street, bnutting, and Jester (but no Red... :()

I feel like a total F-tard. I may not have a primary fermentation vessel availabe for this session. :( If I can get 5 gallons of my Imperial Red racked to a keg, I'll be good to go. I feel like I'm playing musical fermenters with 20 gallons of beer in primary fermentation right now.:eek:
I'm solo parenting all week so bear with me.

Glibbidy said:
I feel like a total F-tard. I may not have a primary fermentation vessel availabe for this session. :( If I can get 5 gallons of my Imperial Red racked to a keg, I'll be good to go. I feel like I'm playing musical fermenters with 20 gallons of beer in primary fermentation right now.:eek:
I'm solo parenting all week so bear with me.

Don't stress about it, you can borrow one from me. I'll rack the dopplebock into a carboy (it's still sitting in primary :(), and I've got an oatmeal stout to throw in a keg. I may ask 2nd Street to pick me up a 6 gallon glass carboy from Hennessy anyway (I want glass for when I do the Berliner Weisse, not this weekend, though), so there will definately be a primary that you can borrow.

I'm still planning on attending.
I was hoping to be up there around 9:00 if that's OK? I'd like to mash and get things done by early afternoon.

Who all is planning on going to the Club meeting at Brew Works on Friday?
I'll be there.

I'll be there. 6:30, IIRC. Got bags of grain to pick up!

I'm bringing some of my Belgian and whatever else I can scrounge up (maybe some smoked porter and some pale ales to share).

I think I'll be at YIV. Is Shannon watching kidlets?

I'll be at the meeting. I also have grain, etc. to pick up. Depending on if my order got in on time, I may or may not be brewing on Sunday.

Wifey will be kid-watching. Glib's kids are coming down, the oldest is the same age, or close to it, of your daughter. Your wife's more than welcome to come down, too.

Does Ray make an Imperial Stout? ;)

I have a growler of "Beetlejuice" from Vt Pub and Brewery (Greg Noonan's place) to share, along with some Stone 11th Anniversay. The description of the Beetlejuice sounded almost like a Berliner Weisse (talked about a "sour mash"), but I guess it's a hefeweizen (I didn't sample it before buying the growler).

This sounds like fun ... count me in..thx for directions ... my oatmeal stout ing have not arived, so will do PM of a Brown Ale from Greg Noonan's book

.. I will bring some of that Haus Pale Ale which is 3 weeks in the bottle and certainly drinkable ... an Amber Ale which is a bit younger (I will save for next session ) ..

Happy with pizza ! Need any munchies ?

I hope to show up betw 9 and 10 ..

No Imp stout .
The little engine light:mad:, and maintenance light :( went on in the Honda this morning while I was on my way to go skiing. The other car is down in Greenfield. If I can get down there to swap cars out I might still be able to make it Sunday.

Late night. SWMBO decided she wanted to kick back with a few brews last night. Who am I to argue. Had a few Hobgoblins, went to bed late, and got up late. Not enough time to clean up, pack up, and get down there to brew. Might come to say "Hi"

Hey guys - hope the gathering went well. Work turned out to be a bust - furnace crapped itself and fumigated the building. So I came home and brewed up 10 gallons of Cheese's VCCA with a buddy that's looking to get back into brewing.

Bird -

Thanks for having us - I learned quite a bit ... thx for the feedback on my Amber Ale, and I am still amazed that you picked up the fresh hops/grassy taste ...

I am impressed. I am sure the Nottingham is equally impressed with all the O2 you let me feed them...I bet they will be working hard by this evening !

evanmars said:
I hereby offer up my house for a family style, pot-luck, beer sharing, beer brewing get together sometime this spring.

Located here in Bennington, VT.

:mug:

I'm a wee bit nervous that my pyscho ex still lives with her MORE pyscho mother down the street from you! If anyone's going to call the cops to report a half-dozen guys standing outside, brewing meth, it's her... :rolleyes:

You move how many thousands of miles away, and you have to buy a house on THAT street?

Hey sorry I did not make it Jay. By the time we got up. ;)
Did errands then pick up the kids, it was mid afternoon.

We will hook up one of these brew days!

Bryan

Back