Irish Red Ale Recipe, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DLink

Reaction score
Hey, below is the recipe I've compiled for my first Irish Red. It kinda walks the line between Irish Red and American Amber but I feel it's more of an Irish Red. What I'm looking for is a nice smooth malty red beer. Let me know any thoughts or suggestions, thanks!

Irish Red Ale
Type: All Grain
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.20 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 5.20 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 75.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Munich Malt (8.3 SRM) Grain 1 52.2 %
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 26.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.7 %
1 lbs Melanoiden Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.7 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.3 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 21.0 IBUs
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 3.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -
1 Whirlfloc Tablet 15 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.020 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.7 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 24.3 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 16.0 SRM

Single Infusion Mash at 155

1 L Yeast Starter

Ferment at 65.

Irish Reds generally use UK Pale Malt as the base, have a small amount of roasted barley and are under 1.060. I would leave out the Amarillo and focus on UK hops...EK Goldings are perfect for Irish Reds...some have Fuggles + EK Goldings. 1# of melanoiden also seems like a lot...with that much munich and melanoiden (super munich pretty much), I think it's going to be too unfermentable and not finish dry enough for an irish red.

Interesting points. I'm not really concerned about meeting any style guidelines as much as making a drinkable beer with certain characteristics.

I chose the American Pale Malt to boost diastatic power to ensure conversion for the flaked oats and melanodin.

The amarillo I had been debating on including and will probably exclude. I was torn between making this a hopped up red like an american amber or a more traditional irish red. I realize the flaked oats are also a departure from the classic style.

Do you think 1 lb of melanoidin will overpower the beer? I've never used it before. Im looking for a very malty beer with some caramelly sweetness to it but i dont want it to be cloying or overpowering.

An Irish Red Ale is a very simple beer, the flavor/aroma all comes from the malts, little hop flavor or aroma (if any). All you need is 2-row, a bit of caramel, a spattering of roasted barley, and bittering hops. If you want to add more, like oats or some munich that's probably fine.

If you are going for a more traditional Irish Red Ale, I would suggest removing the amarillo, and halving (or eliminating) the flameout addition, also remove the melanoidin and halve the caramel, then add around 4 oz of roasted barley (Irish Red Ales get their color from the roasted barley). If you want a hoppy red ale instead, add more hops to the end of the boil and be aware that it's no longer an "Irish Red Ale".

If you want it to be maltier, mash higher rather than adding more malt. Whenever I design a recipe I force myself to remember the "KISS" principle.

I would probably eliminate the melanoidin entirely, but it's up to you to keep it, reduce it or remove it. Munich is already has what you are looking for - that malty-sweet flavor. If I were you, I'd probably just eliminate the Amarillo and reduce melanoidin to 4oz or 8oz.

Thanks for the advice!
I think I'm going to knock the melanoidin down to 6 oz, eliminate the amarillo, and halve the flameout addition.
Hopefully it turns out!

Back