Big Green Egg help...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been smoking meat on a barrell smoker with a fire box for 20 years. It's the only way I know how to do it. I never put my meat over direct heat, that's why I prefer a fire box. However, this weekend I will be at my folks house for the holiday and they want me to smoke my ribs. Problem is, my dad has a Big Green Egg and I have no idea how to smoke on this thing! Can anyone give me some pointers. Short of putting them on the gril for an hour or so and then moving them to an over at a low temp for a few hours, I have no idea where to begin. I smoke ribs on my smoker for 8-10 hours but I think over direct heat I would have some pretty burned ribs. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Does your Dad have a plate setter? It looks like a pizza stone with legs. That's the key to smoking on an egg. It'll create convection currents and protect the ribs from direct heat. Pretty simple design, and very effective.

If they don't have one, you might be able to improvise with a pizza stone or thin fire bricks. Or you could just change the menu and go with steaks:)

Jeff

Marinate, dry rub, etc....

Heat to 200 - 220.

Add ribs and a handful of wet hardwood.

After two hours wrap in tinfoil with a little sauce.

Put back on heat for another hour.

Enjoy.

Back