A fly flew in my cooled wort is it ruined? Serious answers only please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligans

Reaction score
A fly flew in my cooled wort . Is it ruined ? What should I do. I did add two packets of yeast.

Reality is that the fly certainly brought some bacteria in, but you won't know if you have an issue until after it ferments. The yeast should overtake whatever the bacteria may be, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It'll be fine. I've had all kinds of crap fall into the pot and the beer came out just fine. I wouldn't have bothered to pitch extra yeast.

To be on the safe side, you may want to boil the wort and repitch. Flies can carry a lot of nasty bacteria on their feet, and fruit flies can carry the bacteria causing vinegar to form.

But you may be fine, especially if it was a heavily hopped wort.

This has happened to me twice without a big deal. Poor bastard drank as much as he could and sank to the bottom of the frementer. RIP, little buddy.

Serious answer:

What's done is done. Brew another batch and forget about this one...chances are it'll be fine...

It's shot... You needed to leave the carcass in to give the yeast enough protein to fight off the ensuing bacterial onslaught.

I just had a thermometer break in my wort before the boil. I pulled out what ever I could and went on with the boil. All I did was filter it into the carboy. ( don't worry its not a mercury thermometer) Im hoping there isn't anything toxic in it.

Airborneguy said:
I peed in my wort accidentally. Is it ok? And if so, what should I name it and what style would you say it is?

I pee in my mash to help set the pH. Isn't that what your supposed to do for an I "PEE" A? I always take extra vitamins on brew day so the urine is full of excess vitamins for proper yeast nutrition.

Can we please stay serious here. The is a clear solution to this issue.

If a fly lands in your beer you must put in a spider to catch the fly and then a bird to catch the spider and then a cat to catch the bird and then a dog to catch the cat and then a cow to catch the dog and then a horse of course.

Fly By Night Stout?
No Flies on This?

Seriously, though, how can you even say "fly in my wort" and keep a straight face?

Wait, wait, I got it. Let it finish, bottle it, and serve it to your pesky in-laws.

Dilligans said:
A fly flew in my cooled wort . Is it ruined ? What should I do. I did add two packets of yeast.

Two packets? Wow, a fly got in your wort...

That requires *AT LEAST* 6 packets.

Airborneguy said:
I peed in my wort accidentally. Is it ok? And if so, what should I name it and what style would you say it is?

A light American lager, obviously ;)

Unfortunately, it will probably score poorly in competition - the presence of wort pretty much ensures that it won't be to style.

You have to remember the FDA allows for a certain percentage of stuff in our food. I doubt a single fly is going to offset your brew that much.

But I gotta admit I just bottled a superior strong ale tonight that I had to go back 4 times elbow deep in the fermentor looking for a sponge I couldn't find. The sponge was in another bucket. Thought for sure I'd contaminated the batch as trying four time to fish out something that wasn't there in the first place. While I hoped I cleaned my arm up enough, I wasn't sure until tonight as I left it alone to do it's thing.

Opene it up after 5 weeks and it looked great and tasted even better.
You fished it out, don't worry, you'll be fine.

KuntzBrewing said:
I pee in my mash to help set the pH. Isn't that what your supposed to do for an I "PEE" A? I always take extra vitamins on brew day so the urine is full of excess vitamins for proper yeast nutrition.

That'd actually help your yeast as your pee contains diamonium phoshate which is a yeast nutrient.

probably did more harm taking it out, but you will be good to go... Thats why we have the 5 sec rule... your hands are much more dirtier than the floor. :)

The fly is more than ruined. It's DEAD! It won't revive, no matter how many packets of yeast you add.

Let him rest in peace and drink the beer in his honor.

AKnewbrews said:
And there's the classic excuse of "My dog ate my homebrew..."

I think he ends up drinking more than I do when I'm drinking outside (brew day, BBQ day, yard work etc.) if my beer is down for more than 5 seconds he has it knocked over and is lapping it up. Normally doesn't bug me but the whole batch?!?! Not good!

Exbeerienced said:
The fly is more than ruined. It's DEAD! It won't revive, no matter how many packets of yeast you add.

Let him rest in peace and drink the beer in his honor.

LOL

I had some macaroni on my mash paddle one time, I figured macaroni is a grain so I let it ride.

An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman are seated side-by-side at a bar. Each has a mug of beer in front of him.

Simultaneously, three flies land in the beers, one in each mug.

The Englishman looks at his beer, pushes it away and asks the bartender for a new one.

The Scotsman reaches his fingers into the beer, picks up the fly, throws it to the floor and drinks his beer.

The Irishman reaches into the beer, picks up the fly, holds it over the glass and yells, “Spit it out, you bastard! Spit it out!”

An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman are seated side-by-side at a bar. Each has a mug of beer in front of him.

Simultaneously, three flies land in the beers, one in each mug.

The Englishman looks at his beer, pushes it away and asks the bartender for a new one.

The Scotsman reaches his fingers into the beer, picks up the fly, throws it to the floor and drinks his beer.

The Irishman reaches into the beer, picks up the fly, holds it over the glass and yells, “Spit it out, you bastard! Spit it out!”

Now that is funny!

Maybe more appropriate.

An Englishman, a Scotsman, and an Irishman are brewing a beer.

Simultaneously, three flies land in the wort of each.

The Englishman looks at his wort and dumps it.

The Scotsman reaches his fingers into the wort picks up the fly, throws it to the floor and continues brewing.

The Irishman reaches into the wort, picks up the fly, holds it over the BK and yells, “Spit it out, you bastard! Spit it out!”

My second brew ever turned into "old pot holder brown ale". It was one yucky pot holder then my wife gave to me to brew with. Beer turned out great!

I would definitely not worry about it. I shudder to think what falls, flies and/or crawls onto commercial brew vessels and problems there are rare.

Back