Bad to "Lager" at high temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I know that lagering should be done in the 30's or so, but my basement isn't quite cold enough, but I did a lager (Marzen) anyway. Turns out its sitting in the mid-60's (I thought it was in the 50s). Is this bad? Will anything to bad happen to a lager if it sits too warm for 2 months?

Thanks!:ban:

Stick it in an extra fridge, lagering is suppose to be cold. Unless you have filtered, there is still a lot of lager yeast hanging out that can do some damaged if stressed out by the warm temperature.

it won't necessarily be bad, but it won't be very lager like. a lager is supposed be very clean, but at ale temps you'll get some esters

I figured there would be some off tastes, I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't get infected or anything unhealthy. I've "lagered" like this before and everything seemed okay. I'll do a diacetyl rest and take my chances with everything else I suppose.

Thanks for the help guys

Back