think its contaminated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superrican

Reaction score
i have a porter brewed thats in the 2nd fermenter already , and its ready to bottle , i went to go check it out , and on the top floating it looks like grains of salt/sand just floating . as far as sanitation goes , i didnt miss a thing .... my concern is i ran out of bottles so the brew has been in the 2nd fermenter 2 weeks longer than i wanted could this be a part of what im seeing?? . any suggestions ???
ill post pics

i have a porter brewed thats in the 2nd fermenter already , and its ready to bottle , i went to go check it out , and on the top floating it looks like grains of salt/sand just floating . as far as sanitation goes , i didnt miss a thing .... my concern is i ran out of bottles so the brew has been in the 2nd fermenter 2 weeks longer than i wanted could this be a part of what im seeing?? . any suggestions ???
ill post pics

Dont Sweat it!

Rdwhahb! :)

Its nothing to worry about you can leave it in secondary for months.
Probably just needs to be careful when bottling to not get any bits in them by using a filter :)

superrican said:
ill post pics

Yeast rafts+co2

We leave our beer for MONTHS in primary or secondary, that's actually good for your beer. What you are seeing are yeast rafts. Little bits of yeast buoyed to the surface by co2 in the trub layer. They just float to the top. The surface of the beer is rarely free of stuff. It doesn't mean anything is wrong. Relax.

Revvy said:
We leave our beer for MONTHS in primary or secondary, that's actually good for your beer. What you are seeing are yeast rafts. Little bits of yeast buoyed to the surface by co2 in the trub layer. They just float to the top. The surface of the beer is rarely free of stuff. It doesn't mean anything is wrong. Relax.

Revvy, this is one of your shorter contaminants responses. You feeling ok?

Awesome ! I had to ask , my wife was cleaning when I was at work and she told me she moved the fermenter and accidently popped the airlock and stopper off ..... So I freaked thinking my batch was done for

Question: I've had yeast rafts in my beer that eventually settled to the bottom in secondary. Now I have tiny white specs that float just below the surface that appeared after two weeks. I think its from the star san foam but I have no idea. Ideas?

ForumRunner_20110630_205903.jpg

ForumRunner_20110630_205927.jpg

Question: I've had yeast rafts in my beer that eventually settled to the bottom in secondary. Now I have tiny white specs that float just below the surface that appeared after two weeks. I think its from the star san foam but I have no idea. Ideas?

Not contaminated. Yeast rafts. CO2. Don't worry. That looks normal. :mug:

@A R Josh: Thanks dude. I did everything by the numbers so it was a little unsettling; if there was a problem I legitimately would not have known when/how it occurred.

@A R Josh: Thanks dude. I did everything by the numbers so it was a little unsettling; if there was a problem I legitimately would not have known when/how it occurred.

Sometimes we just want someone to tell us we'll be OK. I have a few posts in here like that. :p :mug:

Back