first AG update 8 days what next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poetic_entropy

Reaction score
IT went like this.......

12 pale, 1 # cr 20. and hops........

Mashed in cooler ( little thin) at 153. After 70 min it was 147 (damn wind)

boil hop, boil hop, boil hop etc etc.....60 min later

cooled to 90 in about 15 min

put in fermenter 1.071 gravity

pitched about 8 hours later in the morning with Safale us-56

fermented @ 60-63 for 8 days now 1.011

very very hazy, did a crappy job of filtering trub

Very strong flavor.

How do I figure effeciency for next time... seemed a little too good.

Where do I go from here??? seems a bit dry.

I did use a imersion chiller. But here are my mainn questions

The final gravity seems a little low, I was expecting 15 or so, can I add something to bring it up.

Also I was expecting a low efficiency but seemed to get 82% This made it a little stiff for what I was looking for. I mashed a little longer to make up for an expected lousy efficiency is this what made my final gravity so low?

One final ?...... What is the best way to clear it up. I plan on racking it to a secondary tomorrow, is there any thing else I can do. I did a lousy job off keeping the hops and settlement out of the fermenter.

Thanks again everyone.

***side note, During the mash I stirred every 15-20 minutes and before sparging. I poured (easier to spell that vourlaf?) my first running back over the grain bed. Should I have just let it be and not stirred?

let it set in secondary for a few days at fermentation temp then start droping the temp about a degree a day.. Some things drop out of suspention at different temps. But all in all TIME is going to be your best friend here to clear it up.
JJ

Back